Interchanging parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchanging parts

I just bought a 1980 xs 1100 standard and was wondering how hard it would be to swap the square gauges and headlight for the rounds off the specials. Do they mount up the same or would it take some modifying.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
    4 into 1 exhast, pod filters
    2003 Triumph Thruxton

Welcome to the forum. Read here first.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by bchaffin View Post
      I just bought a 1980 xs 1100 standard and was wondering how hard it would be to swap the square gauges and headlight for the rounds off the specials. Do they mount up the same or would it take some modifying.
      Hi bchaffin and welcome,
      like Marshy sez, you can dig all that data out of the list search function.
      But here is a reader's digest version:-
      You can swap in a complete Special front end. But you will then be stuck with the Special's Weird Harold front brake calipers so I'd say don't do that, swap parts instead.
      The ears are different because of the Standard's wide rectangular headlamp. It's most likely easier to shorten the Special's ear tubes than to tinbash the Standard ears straight.
      I think the gauges & signals should drop right on.
      Note that the Special's front signals don't have running lights in them.
      Note that the Special's tach has a red "low gas" warning light in place of a fuel gauge that won't work with the Standard's fuel tank sender.
      You will need to swap it for a thermistor sender from a Special tank which has to go in with it's wires pointing forward or it'll be upside down and won't work right.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks, I wanted to get rid of the big akward square lights and gauges and thought this would be the easiest route.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 Std
        4 into 1 exhast, pod filters
        2003 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

Hmp...big awkward to some may mean "mean gnarly and nasty" to others!!!
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Welcome to a fellow 'standard' owner! Yes, I'm partial...

To me, those square lights and gauges is one of the things that sets the XS apart from all the other bikes out there; there's no mistaking a XS 'standard' for anything else. Yes, they may be a bit of an acquired taste...

You may have trouble finding those parts, and as was pointed out, it's not a 'simple' bolt-on. And that big square headlight throws out a lot of light, so if you ride at night much you may be giving up some illumination.

But that's just my opinion...

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I just replaced my headlight on my XJ1100 with a square one, the old round one was squished, damn tree, but I think they both put out plenty of light with the right bulb. I am planning on a higher watt bulb soon. I did drop my head light by flipping the mounting ears, moved my gauge cluster forward and down a little. I will have to get a pic to post. I will admit that the round light was a little better as far as beam spread on the road and it too was on those flipped ears. I use 2 L.E.D. bulbs in my tail light. I bought the L.E.D. lic. plate bolt lights and those light up my plate which adds quite a bit of rear visibility, they give off a blueish white color on my white plate. Directionals are coming next. To be continued...
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
              X