Is this my stock MC for front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this my stock MC for front brakes

The reason Im asking is because my local Yamaha dealer ordered the OEM rebuild kit for me and all The parts were double in size. After searching and searching, then double checking the order twice, the dealer said I must have the wrong MC on my bike.

Here are a couple pictures of the one mounted on the bike. Also on the bottom of this MC, It has print that looks to read "NISSIN 14"

The reason for this rebuild was originally due to spongy brakes. Ive bled and bled the brakes and I cant seem to get a stiff handle. I can stop my bike just fine but, I can also squeeze the lever all the way to the grip, I dont think that is normal. My guess is because of this small piston MC.

1980 XS1100 SG

Last edited by Suckerpunch; 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM.
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

That is decisively not the stock reservior or cover. But the layout at least of the MC looks stock.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

That MC has an oblong window in it. All the XS/XJ MC's have round windows, IIRC. I would say that assembly is NOT the stock MC for ANY XS11.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

It kinda looks stock with some kind of billet cover and lid on it.
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I didn't measure the piston when I had it removed but, it was maybe 3/8" wide at the widest point. It looked like the OEM one was close to 9/16 wide.

Im sure im wrong on both measurements but, it was that much of a difference.

Does the NISSIN 14 tell us anything?
          1980 XS1100 SG

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
            Does the NISSIN 14 tell us anything?
            I would say that means it's a Nissin brand Master Cylinder, with a 14mm diameter bore.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              I would say that means it's a Nissin brand Master Cylinder, with a 14mm diameter bore.
              ok,makes since. If this MC has a 14mm bore, what is the stock mm?

And does anybody have a stock MC they can part with?
              1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

My stock one says "K 5 NISSIN 1 11/16" on the bottom of it.
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

It's from a smaller single disk Yamaha and odds are no matter what you do with it, the brakes are going to be mushy. The piston is just too small... You can look for a good used one or a new one from Parts N' More...

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

- - - the dealer said I must have the wrong MC on my bike. - - - on the bottom of this MC, It has print that looks to read "NISSIN 14"
                    The reason for this rebuild was originally due to spongy brakes. - - -
                    Hi 'punch,
                    the stock m/c is also a Nissin but it's bore is 11/16".
                    If your orphan Nissin has an 14mm bore (which is slightly less than 9/16") that would give the exact symptoms you describe.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

And now for something completely different....

Stainless brake lines are supposed to firm up your brake lever. I can also pull mine to the grip. I don't know if my MC is stock or not. My brakes can stop me as hard as I am willing to try, but I also don't like that I can max out the lever so easily. I plan to upgrade to stainless lines; then you lose the stretch of the rubber lines, and the brakes should be less spongy.
                      '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                        Stainless brake lines are supposed to firm up your brake lever. I can also pull mine to the grip. I don't know if my MC is stock or not. My brakes can stop me as hard as I am willing to try, but I also don't like that I can max out the lever so easily. I plan to upgrade to stainless lines; then you lose the stretch of the rubber lines, and the brakes should be less spongy.
                        It may be that your brakes have some air in them too. Have you tried re-bleeding them?
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

yes, Im sure all the air is out.

Looks I just need to locate the correct MC. I do stop well but, would like the brakes to work properly for my safety.
                          Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          It may be that your brakes have some air in them too. Have you tried re-bleeding them?
                          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

yes, Im sure all the air is out.

Looks I just need to locate the correct MC. I do stop well but, would like the brakes to work properly for my safety.
                            Yeah - yours is because the bore is too small. It's Big Red that may have air in the lines.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X