lost key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost key

I have some how lost or misplaced my only key, While I am looking for it, I wanted to check and see if anyone had any idea where I may get one made if I don't find it.
    Second Place is the First Looser

"82" XJ-1100

jat, not sure about the xj, but with my ignition
    i can pretty much stick any long thin
    key in it to start it, this might get you out of trouble,

if your replacing keys, a keysmith can match keys
    to the barrels.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Examine one of the locks on the bike, ignition, tank, sidecover for the key number and then take that number to a dealer or a locksmith and they should be able to cut a new one for you. I got mine done at a local security centre and they just entered the number into their computerised do-hicky and out spat 2 keys, but I still had the original key so already had the number

There's threads here on site that tell you where to find the numbers, but one of them is located on the bottom of the ignition, which you have to remove to read the sticker.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

IMHO, it would be best to remove the igntion switch and take it with you to a dealer or locksmith. The number on the bottom of the switch will tell the dealer how to cut the key, and they charge less to do it that way. Then, once you have the key, you can test it in the switch before you walk away. I did that, and the first key didn't work! He had to make a second key. If I had not had the switch with me, I would have gone all the way home with a dud key...
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

+1 on the locksmith.

Checked with two dealers closest to me and first neither wanted to be bothered with ordering the keys and both wanted premium coin for them.

Called a locksmith and took him the ignition. Had two keys next day for 20 bucks and he was very apologetic that he had to order the keys and that's why it "took so long"
          My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
          1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
          1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
          1981 Suzuki GS550 E
          1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Originally posted by bdw72 View Post
            I have some how lost or misplaced my only key, While I am looking for it, I wanted to check and see if anyone had any idea where I may get one made if I don't find it.
            Hi bdw,
            there should be a 4-digit number on one or more of the locks.
            The number will let a competent professional locksmith (not the bimbo in the Mall kiosk, the old guy in the dusty shop)
            cut you a new key. Taking the iggy lock with you works too.
            While you are there, or even if you find the lost key, you need five of them.
            One on your key ring, one in your billfold, one taped to the inside of the bike's right side cover, one in your sock drawer and the last one at your mom's place.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              While you are there, or even if you find the lost key, you need five of them.
              One on your key ring, one in your billfold, one taped to the inside of the bike's right side cover, one in your sock drawer and the last one at your mom's place.
              Wow! How in the world have I gotten along with only a single key for the last 21 years????

Of course, when my brother brought the bike back (on a trailer over Christmas), he DID forget to bring the key, so I had to pick the lock with a homemade pick and tension rod. It is kind of scary just how easy these locks are to pick!
              -- Clint
              1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Original keys have a number code on them. Write the code on the title to the bike. If you loose the key, you can just take the title or number code to the locksmith. Hopefully they'll get it right the first time.
                Rob
                82 XJ1100
                Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
                Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                  Wow! How in the world have I gotten along with only a single key for the last 21 years????
                  Hi Clint,
                  a combination of anal retention and blind good luck?
                  Seriously though, as long as you have an extra key in your billfold you will never lose the in-use one.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Clint,
                    a combination of anal retention and blind good luck?
                    Seriously though, as long as you have an extra key in your billfold you will never lose the in-use one.
                    That does about sum it up! When I bought my car (2005 Mustang GT), I also bought two more keys for it. To program a new key, you have to have TWO programmed keys available, otherwise, you get to pay the dealer to program the keys and that costs more than a pair of keys does. Needless to say, I have four keys and I have only used one of them. But I do know where the other three keys are.
                    -- Clint
                    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Working...
                    X