Shaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft question

Anyone know if a v-max shafts splines will mate with an xs11 final drive?

Don't know, but the Vmax FDs had a lower ratio than the stock XS, which would render first gear nearly useless, unless you're planning on pulling a 43' trailer or something.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Actually, I was hoping to get a longer shaft for an xs1100 chop, rather than convert to chain drive. Found a place that makes custom length v-max shafts and was just wondering if the splines would match up. The motor and drive gears are all xs11.

Comment

What about a virago shaft???
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Getting the shaft

cannot say for certain that the v-max shaft will mate, however, based on first hand experience with the Royal Star and V-Star 1100 shafts, I'd say "yes, the v-max shaft will mate to the xs1100 yoke and final drive".

why the need for a custom length? are you also building a custom swingarm? I've accumulated some info related to yamaha drive shafts in this thread.

Comment

No swingarm at all. A rigid frame with 4 inches of stretch at the rear. The longer shaft is the last piece of the puzzle, admittedly I waited/procrastinated a little too long on that one. Thanks for the info, cross your fingers for me.

Comment

can't a driveshaft place just cut weld and rebalance your xs1100 shaft? I think I've heard of it being done before.....maybe?
              1980 XS1100G
              Tulsa, OK

Comment

good luck and keep me posted on the compatibility and progress. it would be useful if you could post contact info and pricing for the custom shaft as well.

Comment

Most any machine shop will cut the yokes off your shaft and weld in a new shaft and balance it. I have had it done with plenty of cars and pickups, I am sure it would be the same with a motorcycle shaft. Or at least I cant think of any reason it would be any different!

Nathan
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Crooked_Fender View Post
                    Actually, I was hoping to get a longer shaft for an xs1100 chop, rather than convert to chain drive. Found a place that makes custom length v-max shafts and was just wondering if the splines would match up. The motor and drive gears are all xs11.
                    Hi Fender,
                    this not an e-place but somewhere you can visit?
                    Take your XS11 shaft in and ask them, make me one of these but longer?
                    If the splines are the same as the V-Max you can buy their stock product.
                    If not, a competent machine shop should be able to cut one spline as easily as another.
                    Stretched frame, open shaft? Stock swingarm removed rather than welded in?
                    While I consider "hardtailing" to be a sacrifice of comfort in favour of style, at least you are doing it properly.
                    Think about a 1/4 elliptic sprung solo seat?
                    Last edited by fredintoon; 05-20-2010, 10:40 AM.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

All seven of the machine shops near me wanted a ridiculous amount of money (over $500) to do it. The driveshaft places wouldn't even consider trying it because it is solid not tubular. Can you say rock and a hard place. I was on the verge of doing it myself on the lathe at work but thought I'd try this first. The website for the shafts was recommended to me by one of the engineers at work. Lots of good performance parts for the v-max, royal star, and venture. A company called Blue Ridge Mtn. Sportmax. Hope some of you find it useful. Thanks again for the info!!

http://rmsportmax.com

P.S.- Yes the swingarm is completley removed and the shaft will be spinning open, and yes the seat is sprung. I fabbed a weld on bracket to hold the final drive in place. It will go in when I get the right shaft and align everything properly.
                      Last edited by Crooked_Fender; 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

ridiculous money

the yamaha drive shafts are made from a hardened steel that make it extremely costly to cut and reweld. so the $$ they were asking is fairly normal and not usually persued.

thanks for the link. will be very interested in hearing a comparison in materials and durability between the new driveshaft and the original yammy. what kind of $$ are they charging for your custom shaft?

Comment

Doh!

found the pricing on the web site....$200 for standard length.

Comment

Hate to be the fly in the ointment, but have you noticed the increase in shaft diameter with their unit? The stock XS unit is only .670" in diameter and theirs is nearly twice as large. While that's a good thing for strength, it will limit your tire size. With the stock driveshaft diameter, if you run it 'open' you could fit up to a 6.20" wide rear tire, figuring bare minimum clearance between the shaft/tire. Go to their size and you're back down to about a 5.5" wide tire; the same as a stock bike...

'78E original owner
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Crooked_Fender View Post
                              - - - I was on the verge of doing it myself on the lathe at work but thought I'd try this first. - - -
                              Hi Fender,
                              here's what I'd do if I had a lathe:-
                              Cut the shaft in halves with a chopsaw.
                              Turn up a joiner sleeve and drill & ream it each end perhaps 3" deep to be a slip fit on the shaft halves.
                              Make the sleeve as long as it needs to be to get the shaft length you want.
                              Low temperature braze everything together.
                              Check the assembly for truth before you braze and set the shaft vertical during brazing to minimize the chance of warping.
                              Or try Loctite studholder? A 3" length of that should have lots of shear strength.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X