Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
    ...As for LEDs you can buy resistors you put inline ONLY to the signal filament. This will allow your auto cancel to work, and will not require any more draw from your charging system except when your signaling....
    The only problem with the 'store-bought' units is you need one for each LED bulb you put in. If you do both ends, that's four you have to install. You can eliminate two if you pick up a 3 ohm resistor for each side and connect them into the feeds from the canceller to the lights. Use at least a 25 watt rated resistor, and mount it away from anything that doesn't like heat. A 50 watt would be better, but those are rather large. The 25 watt will be fine if you don't leave the turn sigs on too long (roughly a minute or less).

Will your canceller still work? Don't bet on it. These are notoriously sensitive to load; there's been numerous postings about owners using 1157 lamps and having flasher/canceller issues, and these resistor sizes 'mimic' the 1157 lamp, not the OEM lamp. Most owners forget about the canceller and resistors, install a electronic flasher that doesn't care about load, and call it good.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As far as I know 1157 IS the oem lamp is it not?

But yes, you should put one resistor on each of the 4 signal circuits. They don't have to near the light, just anywhere you canconveniently get at the wires, and munt the resitors for cooling, they can get warm, although I don't think it should be ab issue on signal lights that only flash a few times.

The resistors are designed to fool burn-out senors on tail light bulbs, which are on steady for long periods of time.

I don't know if you could put 1 large resistor on each side instead of 2 smaller ones? Don't see why not, except for mounting issues. Doing this might make two lights dimmer than the other two?
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
        As far as I know 1157 IS the oem lamp is it not?....

....I don't know if you could put 1 large resistor on each side instead of 2 smaller ones? Don't see why not, except for mounting issues. Doing this might make two lights dimmer than the other two?
        'Motorcycle' lamps are usually slightly different. The filaments and supports are a bit more heavy-duty, and the watts aren't the same; the 1157 is rated at 22 watts I believe, and the OEM lamps are 27 watts. A small difference and not something you would see at a casual glance, but enough to screw up the canceller on occasion.

As far as using one 3 ohm resistor per side instead of two 6 ohm, it shouldn't make any difference. Size-wise, it's the watt rating that will determine physical size, not the ohms.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Might check http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/turn_lens.htm to see if they still have the Red Rectangle Lens in stock. Part # YAM004 for $3.95ea.
          Richard

Comment

I wasn't talking about size, I just meant that instead of splicing into 4 wires, with 4 small resistors and finding someplace to put them all, you should be able to just put 2 larger ones and only splice 2.

You could moun thtem to your carrier rack, under the trunk if you wanted for cooling.

As long as the load is sufficient for the entire side, it should work.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Red turn lenses

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
              Might check http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/turn_lens.htm to see if they still have the Red Rectangle Lens in stock. Part # YAM004 for $3.95ea.
              Good link. And they still have some; I ordered and got two for my standard from them. I'll bet these are NOS items that they have, so if you're interested I wouldn't be hesitating because I suspect when they run out they're gone forever. The two I got are identical to those I bought 30 years ago and a search for the company (VEM) turned up nada...

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

i don't get it i use led's in the blinkers and my auto cancel still works with no problems...??? i still have te stock flasher relay and i did not install load equalizers.
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
                  i don't get it i use led's in the blinkers and my auto cancel still works with no problems...??? i still have te stock flasher relay and i did not install load equalizers.
                  Well, are you going to tell us which LEDs you are using?? Seems rather strange, since the system is designed in such a way that it really SHOULDN'T work with LEDs. More info please!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh1100 View Post
                    I own a 1979 xs1100f standard (45k >/< original miles). By design, the front turn signals double as running lights. I would like to modify the rear signals to act as running lights as well. Is it as simple as using "front" signal assemblies on the rear and "tapping" into the front wiring?
                    I commute about 100 miles a day and often ride in the dark and the rain. I would feel much better if I had additional lighting on the rear.
                    Not sure if you saw this http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...urn+Tail+Brake thread, but I detail how I made my rears work like turn/tail/brake lights. Only problem would be finding red lenses for the standard square signals.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                      Only problem would be finding red lenses for the standard square signals.
                      That problem is solved in post #19 on this thread. $3.95 each.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh1100 View Post
                        Thanks to all for the replies. As for the charging system..I think I can place resisters to prevent excessive battery discharge. I will check with the C.H.P. (California Highway Patrol) to see if I will have to swap to clear lenses (red ones are not available for the XS1100 standard). Though this model does have an oversized taillight...I would feel much more visible from the rear when riding in the rain and the dark.
                        If you put enough resistance in the line to keep the current down the lights won't like enough to be worth anything. That is really the reason for going to LED's so you can have the brightness and lower the current at the same time.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          Good link. And they still have some; I ordered and got two for my standard from them. I'll bet these are NOS items that they have, so if you're interested I wouldn't be hesitating because I suspect when they run out they're gone forever. The two I got are identical to those I bought 30 years ago and a search for the company (VEM) turned up nada...
                          Well, looks like the supply dried up! Part YAM004 is now an amber lens for another application...
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X