not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not charging

just got a new battery. everything seemed fine for about a week. bike sat in garage over the weekend. bike wouldn't start again. charged battery. seems alternater isn't charging. only have battery voltage at battery. cked & cleaned all connections. found 5 wire plug behind fuse panel 3 white wires melted. plug & wires get hot when bike is running. have read most pages & threads concerning this problem. not quite sure what my exact problem is. have a digital ohm meter with auto range. found test in claimers book. ran test for regulator rectifier. book says should have low readings testing one way & have high readings with leads switched around. ohm meter shows open for 1 complete set of tests. switched leads around - get a reading. i am assuming that i have a bad regulator rectifier. any input to this problem would be greatly appreciated. the bike is an '80 sg. had cked charging system previous to replacing battery. was working. could bad battery have damaged regulator rectifier unit?

Thanks,
    graybird78
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

not charging cont...

P.S. - forgot to add - regulator rectifier unit had 4 little burn marks on 1 side of unit. not sure how these got there. & regulator was very hot when i took it off. if anyone would have any insite as to why these burn marks where there - would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    graybird78
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

On digital autorange multimeters, reading a diode using the ohm scale would result in an open reading in one direction and a reading in the other. The actual value given will depend on meter model.

From the readings you described, the rectifier seems fine.

Maybe the problem is th wires themselves. I've seen this before. Water gets in the wire from the end, and corrodes the copper, leaving so little that the wire heats up when normal current goes through. The voltage drop across the bad section can be enough to keep the battery from charging.

To find the problem, follow the wires that are melted and check at BOTH ends if something is short-circuit. Try to read the resistance across the wire from end to end(with the bike off) and then check the voltage loss across the wire(with the bike running)

- Justin

Comment

sorry I don't have anything useful to say other than to echo Justin's good advice, but...

I merged your 'not charging contd' thread into this one, good idea to Reply to your original thread when on the same subject, makes it easier for folks to see your info and answer.
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

charging

djost. will do what you suggest.ran out of time tonite.will open up wire loom tomorrow.to see whats going on.only wires affected are the white wires at 5 wire connector.they do not appear to be burnt to bad.just casing to wires melted off. suppose wires could have touched fuse panel since they are tucked in behind it.just a quick mention ,got stuck in traffic jam for 2 hrs friday nite bike was getting very hot in traffic all of a sudden bike started to run very crappy like out of fuel ,then quit after 30secs.got home p arked bike didn't ride until mon when all this started. mike;thanks for fixing that post .it just came to me after I posted first time.

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I have the same type of problem on my 850: the three white wires from the stator get hot quickly when the engine is running, and I have no charge going to the battery. I checked every connection and whire during a complete rebuilt of the bike this past winter, everything is fine on that side. I replaced the regulator with one off Ebay thinking that was the problem, still no charge. The ohms coming off the field coil and the stator white wires are within range.
            If anyone has an idea on what to try next, go ahead and suggest, cause I'm out of them right now...
            Carpe Diem!
            1980 XS850G
            1973 CT70

Comment

Load test the battery. It is the ONLY way to see if it is shot. It can test out at over 12 volts even if it is bad. Put the meter across the terminals of the battery and hit the starter. If it drops volts dramatically, it is shot. You know, you really should have a way to shut off the headlight in stop-n-go traffic jams. The alternator will not keep up!

Originally posted by srq68
              I have the same type of problem on my 850
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X