I'd Rather Wrestle an Octopus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd Rather Wrestle an Octopus

Decided to change the tires today. Got the bike up like the pictorial showed and removed the back wheel. Decided to take the front wheel off at the same time. Little did I know that Murphy was chuckling to himself in the background. Used jackstands to prop the front of the engine up while I took off the front wheel. Jackstand slips and I go get a bandaid. Get the leaking stopped and put on mechanics gloves. Set the rear wheel on a board and attack it with tire irons. Go to the toolbox and get a small drill to empty the blood out from under my nail. Get another bandaid. Get both tires off the rims. Front tire seemed easier so I start with that one. Tire goes on easily and I'm feeling optimistic. Get the back tire on, S#*t put it on backwards. Take the tire off, double check myself and put the tire back on. Dot is lined up, things look great, go to put air in tire, no valve stem, Murphy is now in hysterics. Take one side of bead off and put the stem in, put the bead back on and put the valve in the stem, valve gets stuck and cross threaded. Try to take the the cross threaded valve out, flats snap off. Roll tire up against the work bench, turn out the lights and go drinK a beer. Tommorrow is another day.
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

I feel your pain, I decided that I could change the rubber on my scoot, but I also had tubes in mine. Popped the front tube and had to take tire off again and go get and insert new tube, thought about it, but didn't buy the back one. Changed the back tire, popped the tube tried to go to get a new one, store was closed. The beer store was open, got a new tube on my lunch break and rode afterwork the next day. Four weeks or so ago now and my fingernail is almost grown out. I guess I shouldn't have been so cheap and bought the tire changing tool instead of using tire irons...
    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
    1978 XS 1100E
    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
    K & N Air filter
    Home built forward controls
    Vulcan Mustang seat
    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

No doubt! It took me the useable part of a day to change mine out last time. When I was done, I thought to myself proudly, I just saved $40. Then I thought, 40 buck for my whole Saturday...not sure it was worth it.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Nope, totally not worth it unless you can't get a shop to do it in a timely manner. This winter I changed both skins, but it was part of a larger project over a few weeks so I did the work. When I slashed the brand new rear one last week I dropped the wheel off and said 'call me when it's done'. Best $49 I've spent in a while.

Comment

Changed my Special rear tire last week, took 1 hr off and back on the bike. I've had a lot of practice. Front ones take a bit longer, they have to be balanced.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I finally broke down and bought a tire changer from Harbor Freight. Bought the base and M/C adapter part on sale for $100. I found an old tire tool from a Coats tire changing machine that you can buy nylon tips for to keep from scratching the rim, then cut it in the middle and welded those two pieces to some rectangle heavy gauge tubing to extend it a couple feet for leverage.

I also ordered these to keep from scratching the rim on the bottom in case the tire spun while removing/installing the tire...

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

You have to drill three holes to make it work, but it avoids any damage to my or any of my buddy's rims since nothing but nylon ever touches the rim. This Mitch also makes a Mojo Lever with nylon inserts, but it seems a bit high to me. I've used one. I like the rounded end to dismount the tire, but the angled end you use to get the tire back on the rim, takes a lot of downward force while you're prying to keep the tool from just sliding up the tire. The Coats tool I have curves under the rim and holds it there. It's like this one here...

http://www.handsontools.com/TMR-CT76...-_p_46235.html

The tool was actually free for me, but even buying that and then spending $25 for 3 sets of nylon ends, it ended up being cheaper than the Mojo Lever... but I did have to do a little cutting/welding.

With just the 4 tires for me personally I have used it for, I figure it's paid for already. The only bike shop in town closed recently from the economy, so buddies bring me a wheel and tire to change (I'm not going to pull it off their bike for them). Takes me maybe 5 minutes to change a tire and I get $20 from them.. $30 if they want it balanced too. Cheaper for them, and I can make a couple bucks. I wouldn't try to use this thing commercially, but for an average back yard tinkerer.. it beats the heck out of spoons and tire irons ANY day.

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 05-17-2010, 09:12 AM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tim - Do you have rim locks on your back wheel? I tried changing my tires last year, and those rim locks absolutely kicked my azz. After fighting with it for two days, I took them to my local MC tire guy and had him do it. Took him like ten minutes .
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Tim....long time no see.....

Senor Murphy is a dick.....
                '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                Windjammer(wiring issues)
                SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                New paint/brakes to come!!
                ===============
                '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                ===============
                '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Done

Thought I needed tubes, found out I didn't. Took them back to the shop I bought them at. We worked out a deal and I ended up only paying an extra $5. If I had taken them and let the mechanic do it would have saved me a couple bucks and maybe Murphy would have wandered off before I started on the carbs. Unfortunately he now knows amusing activities can be found in my garage.

How's it going Tom? Has anyone told you your avatar is kind of hypnotic?
                  1979XS1100SF
                  K&N's and drilled airbox
                  Jardine 4in1
                  Dunlop Elite 3's
                  JBM slide diaphragms
                  142.5 main jets
                  45 pilot jets
                  T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                  750/850 FD mod.
                  XV 920 Needle Mod.
                  Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                  Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

it beats the heck out of spoons and tire irons ANY day
                    I've been doing it with one small pry bar and a couple large screw drivers.
                    Can be a B!&@h getting air back in sometimes tho.
                    _______
                    OK daughter #2, are you ready?
                    "Yes Daddy (with a on her face)
                    Start pumping ... a litter faster ... faster, faster ...
                    _______

mro

Comment

Just a tip for inflating tubeless tires:

You know sometimes it's impossible to get the bead to seat because the air is leaking out? Well this might sound stupid, but I used strips of duct tape all around the tire overlapping the rim on both sides, hooked up my air, and presto, the tire seated immediately. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. Maybe this might help someone further on down the road.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Never Again

I tried changing the tires once. Got the rear on after fighting with that bas#$@^ most of the day. Took one look at the front and took both to the shop. Rear needed balance and I needed beer to recover from the fight. I proved I could do it to myself. That was good enough. At $40 a wheel with balance I wasn't about to battle them again. Those E3s have been on there for 3 years now and I feel I've gotten my money's worth even with the change & balance costs
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                        X