No announcement yet.

Cam shaft question for the gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got the head back on, cams in, and the chain back on. What a PITA that was. The darn thing was stretched almost to it's limits and wouldn't grab the lower sprocket until I put the tensioner back on. I kept thinking it was off to one side of the lower sprocket, but I finally just looked down there with my boroscope and the problem became instantly clear - man I love that tool . I checked the clearances, and only the #4 exhaust was in spec. Most of them had to be adjusted by 2 shim sizes. That just blew my mind - QRFan spent $2400 bucks with this cork soaker, and he didn't even adjust the valves! Anyway, I ran a compression test on a stone cold motor - no carbs, no exhaust - and here's the numbers - #1 - 120, #2 - 120, #3 - 115, #4 - 120. This thing just had a ring job, and the hatch marks are still visible, so the numbers should go up when they're fully seated. I'll run the compression test again when I get the exhaust and carbs mounted, and get it running, so I can do the warm dry and wet tests.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

How do you like my solution to keep the buckets and shims in place for the gas test (which it passed with flying colors)?

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
      X