Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for my headlight not to come on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal for my headlight not to come on?

1980 XS1100 SG

Weird, I was doing more riding today and kept going up until night time. I stoped at a store and shut off the bike. When I was done shopping (hours later) I turned the key on and hit the start button. I noticed I had no headlights, actully no lights at all. I tried my blinkers, hazards, and no lights on the gauges either (about 3 minutes have gone by). When I poped it into gear it all came on.

Shortly later I made another stop and the exact thing happened but, this time even when I put it in gear, Nothing. A few minutes went by and they turned on again.

Im thinking the bike need to charge a bit to make the power needed but, its a long shot.
    Last edited by Suckerpunch; 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM.
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

I need to make a correction. All forward lights did not work as well as the rear blinkers but, the tail light and brake light did work. The horn worked as well.
    Last edited by Suckerpunch; 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM.
    1980 XS1100 SG

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

If you have the glass type fuse box still, check for a flaky connection(s) there. Wouldn't hurt to check the alt. plug connections too, and the 3 ground points.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

+1 with above. You'll find a known trouble spot behing the right side cover, and behind the fuse panel. What your looking for is the alternator connector plug on the end of three white wires coming from the alternator on the right hand end of the crankshaft. It is very common for the connectors in this plug to overheat and cook the plastic connector block. If cooked it will be a yellow/brown colour and possibly crumble in your hands when trying to pull apart. The headlight relay is triggered by one of the white wires when the engine starts and the alternator starts producing power, and if the headlight is delayed like youve described you might find that the spade connectors have overheated and are loose, creating a high resistance joint which doesnt start conducting until the voltage gets above a certain level or vibration takes over and the connectors find a position where they work. While your in there, if it stiil there, get rid of the glass fuse block and replace it with the spade type block that TopCat sells. You'll save yourself no end of electrical heartache with that simple fix.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

problem not there. It looks great and suspect its been replaced fairly recent.
          Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          +1 with above. You'll find a known trouble spot behing the right side cover, and behind the fuse panel. What your looking for is the alternator connector plug on the end of three white wires coming from the alternator on the right hand end of the crankshaft. It is very common for the connectors in this plug to overheat and cook the plastic connector block. If cooked it will be a yellow/brown colour and possibly crumble in your hands when trying to pull apart. The headlight relay is triggered by one of the white wires when the engine starts and the alternator starts producing power, and if the headlight is delayed like youve described you might find that the spade connectors have overheated and are loose, creating a high resistance joint which doesnt start conducting until the voltage gets above a certain level or vibration takes over and the connectors find a position where they work. While your in there, if it stiil there, get rid of the glass fuse block and replace it with the spade type block that TopCat sells. You'll save yourself no end of electrical heartache with that simple fix.

I did find that 10a fuse for the headlight was replaced with a 15a fuse. It does get hot because the fuse its self has been warped and the bottom end of the fuse looks like it got hot enough to melt because it has a drip in the metal and is deformed. Also, the plastic housing/panel at that same bottom end looks a little cooked. Fuse still shows continuity.

Do you have a link for this fuse panel update? I cant find one.
          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Everything you need to know on fuse block is here..

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...pictorial.html
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
            X