Can someone please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please...

Measure the front brake lines for a standard?

I'm at work and want to place an order but the bike is at home. If anyone is able to it would be much appriciated.

Thanks!
    1979 XS 1100F
    Daily Rider
    DIY'r
    Minneapolis,mn

Assuming you haven't changed the bars or anything else on the front end, the lengths are:

M/C to Union 16”
    Union to Caliper 22-3/4”

These measurements are center-to-center of the banjos.

Comment

Master cylinder to tee: 16"
      Tee to left caliper: 22"
      Tee to right caliper: 22.5"

This is end-to-end, including the banjo fittings. The master-to-tee one has 30 degree bends in both banjos, the other two have 30s on one end only.

'78E original owner
      Last edited by crazy steve; 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ok

I'm raising the bars by 4'' should it be safe to get the 20'' steel lines from Mikesxs to go from MC to T?

DOT/TUV approved Stainless Steel Braided Brake Line
        Fits: 77-84 XS650 "Special" models (high bar) Upper Front
        approximately 20" Long. Ends rotate up to 1 full turn.

Part #29-6506

Thanks!
        Last edited by mrdigitech; 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM.
        1979 XS 1100F
        Daily Rider
        DIY'r
        Minneapolis,mn

Comment

I read on the FJOwners site about a guy on ebay that makes custom length SS braided lines. They had nothing bad to say about him, most of them thought they were the cheapest they could find, especially if your buying more and 2 lines... If there is interest I can go over and dig out the reference... When Im ready, I will be ordering mine through this guy...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

SS brakelines

I've 3 lines on my Std with the union and 2 on my special direct to the MC. Don't think it makes much of a difference, think the 3 line looks cleaner.

Darrell
            Darrell
            78E
            80G project
            06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              I read on the FJOwners site about a guy on ebay that makes custom length SS braided lines. They had nothing bad to say about him, most of them thought they were the cheapest they could find, especially if your buying more and 2 lines... If there is interest I can go over and dig out the reference... When Im ready, I will be ordering mine through this guy...
              If you can find the link I would be interested in ordering some from him!

Nathan
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is the FJOwners thread about their experience with the seller/maker of the lines. They say he's out of Canada so that is good news for our norther XS family. The ebay site can be found here. I suggest contacting the guy even if you can find what you need on his site... GL
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                X