an old favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an old favorite?

I've gone thru all of these, and I may have missed this one, but it probably bears repeating. I'm sure many have encountered this problem.
    The PO of my bike made a big deal out of changing the oil, specifically installing the new filter. My first change, I saw that the oil filter bolt had seen better days, but it was OK for one last use.
    When I went for change #2, having bought a new bolt, I found that the old one didn't want to break loose, and I rounded it a tad more trying to remove it.
    In the past I have used a die grinder to shave a bolt down to the next size, and gotten it out. No die grinder available now, and not much room to use a file.
    Any solutions for a limited shop?

VIce grips and a hammer? Dremmel to cut a groove for a screw driver? Use a cold chisel on the edge with a hammer to break it loose.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I got mine off with an 8" pipe wrench a short piece of 3/4" diameter pipe can be used for extra leverage if needed.

HTH
      Rick
      XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
      650SF
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
      XS1100SG Project bike
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Slightly small 8 point impact wrench socket tapped on with a hammer and then rip it off with the air impact. Impact wrench needed oiling anyways.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It is tight behind the filter cup, but with a strap wrench, it should turn just a little one way and then the other to try and break the thread's "stickshun". It will ony turn about an 8th to a quarter inch maximum...
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

old favorite?

Thanks Skids. That might work.
            As for the vise grips, hammers, pipe wrenches and impact tools; did I run over all your collective dogs? It sounds like you guys want me snap off this puppy.
            This bike isn't on a lift, so space is limited. No compressor in the garage either.
            I guess I asked the wrong question, but there's a way to do anything-
            I'll find one. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jamak View Post
              Thanks Skids. That might work.
              As for the vise grips, hammers, pipe wrenches and impact tools; did I run over all your collective dogs? It sounds like you guys want me snap off this puppy.
              This bike isn't on a lift, so space is limited. No compressor in the garage either.
              I guess I asked the wrong question, but there's a way to do anything-
              I'll find one. Thanks.
              No compressor would make it a problem. However, I don't have a lift either, but I do have a compressor, and it did get it off without damage other than the bolt now being stuck on the socket I used. Replaced it with a good used one and it's all good now.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I had the same problem at last oil change and I just tapped it round with a cold chisel. Not hard hits, just gentle taps till it broke loose. The I filed it to a smaller size and used a 6 point socket to put it back on. Have a new bolt now but will wait till next change to fit it. I wont ever use a 12 point socket on that bolt again, if the 12 point socket or the bolt is even slightly worn you risk slipping and stripping the head.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Once you get it apart, take the bolt to a machine shop and have then weld on a larger nut right over the rounded-off head. You'll never have another problem with rounding!

DAMHIKIJD
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X