Euh, need help adjustin cam chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euh, need help adjustin cam chain

I checked very carefully on this website and on my bike and things don't seem to mach.

Not surprising since I have a different engine. It's an XJ 750.

The cam chain adjuster is not the same as in a 1100. If someone could get me a adjustement procedure to get me started while I wait for the shop manual that I ordered, I'd be very happy.

Thanks in advance

-Justin

Get to the timing plate/crankshaft, so you can turn it by HAND.
    Release the tensioner (should be a bolt that goes in sideways).
    Turn the engine in the same direction it spins when running by HAND a whole cicrle or two. The XS11 engine spins the other way than rear wheel while riding. It is important.
    Tighten the tensioner (not too much so u dont damage the thread).
    You're set. At least XS has this procedure. Its basically the same for all bikes that have manual adjusters.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom
      Get to the timing plate/crankshaft, so you can turn it by HAND.
      Release the tensioner (should be a bolt that goes in sideways).
      Turn the engine in the same direction it spins when running by HAND a whole cicrle or two. The XS11 engine spins the other way than rear wheel while riding. It is important.
      Tighten the tensioner (not too much so u dont damage the thread).
      You're set. At least XS has this procedure. Its basically the same for all bikes that have manual adjusters.

LP
      I wouldn't be rotating the crank with the cam chain tensioner loose. That could very easily throw the timing out.

XS manual states to rotate until the "C" lines up wth the timing mark, then loosen, and retighten, the cam chain tensioner bolt. Not too tight, bolt is 4.3ft lbs and the nut is 6.5ft lbs.

No idea if this is the same procedure for the 750 or not.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Every time I get a different bike I get a new service manual. I used to have an xj750 and I think the chain is even easier to adjust , like a no brainer!
        Last edited by fusionking; 08-16-2003, 09:11 PM.
        Garry
        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

From looking at a blowup diagram of the XJ750 chain tensioner.... it appears to be quite different from that on an XS. It doesn't look like it has any sort of spring. It appears to only have a bolt going straight in the end.... in line with the shaft and block that contacts the chain. It LOOKS like you simply loosen the locknut and tighten the bolt until the chain is tight.
          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

wich bolt?

Ok, but where is the tensionner?

There is nothing that resembles what is described here on my engine. There is a bolt that goes straight into the engine between cyls #2 & 3, and that looks like it could be it, but is on the back of the engine, under the carbs.

The only thing I see that could be the tensionner on the front of the engine would only be accessible by removing the valve cover.

Jeff, If you could send me a scan of that blowup, it'd be much clearer.

Thanks

-Justin

Comment

Originally posted by xssiveone

I wouldn't be rotating the crank with the cam chain tensioner loose. That could very easily throw the timing out.

XS manual states to rotate until the "C" lines up wth the timing mark, then loosen, and retighten, the cam chain tensioner bolt. Not too tight, bolt is 4.3ft lbs and the nut is 6.5ft lbs.

No idea if this is the same procedure for the 750 or not.
              The point of rotating the camchain is to tighten it on all other points. Works your way too. If you rotate it by hand, it won't skip any teeth.

LP

Comment

A bunch of repair manuals, microfiches, user manuals can be found and downloaded here:

http://saarbike.de/links/bikestuff/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X