noooobie here. fuel filters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noooobie here. fuel filters.

thoughts on the tank filters vs. inline filters? my tank filters are shot, the mesh is just fused together. at 35 bucks a piece, i am thinking of just installing inline filters till a later date when i am sure i am not dumping money down a hole. the bike has sat in a garage for 14 years with fuel in it and i'm just about to get the tank finished. i'll drop the dough later on if all else seems good. i rebuilt the petcock rubber already. can i just mount them without the tank filters?

thanks in advance for this and the million and one dumb questions i am about to ask! i'm not a mechanic, just a fairly intelligent guy wanting to learn to wrench and ride.
    -1979 XS 1100 standard
    -1967 Lambretta SX 150

You could do that, but you will lose the reserve function of the filter towers, if you choose to remove them and go with inline filters.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Meaning that when it sputters, you will be out of gas, and waiting for someone to bring you some gas to get it going again.

In your situation I would put inline filters in, cut the filter mesh out of the towers and keep them in. That way they won't filter, but you would retain the reserve function and the inline filters would give you your filtering. And then I would just leave it like that and not bother ever replacing the towers, you don't HAVE to use them to filter as long as you have inline filters.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

thanks guys!

that's pretty much what i figured, and leaving the towers in for the reserve action to work is a smart idea.

next question...should the petcocks (not installed yet) be super hard to turn after putting the rubber in? i assume since they are dry, the friction is making it difficult, and when the gas soaks in there it should move more freely? or should they be oiled if that won't break down the gasket?
        -1979 XS 1100 standard
        -1967 Lambretta SX 150

Comment

I'm pretty sure any rubber that can take gas can also handle oil. I used a real light smear of grease when I had mine out and put them back in. I'm waiting on a rebuild kit to come in the mail. For now, I just flipped the rubber around so that the chafed part isn't against the petcock. Funny... most times if you flip the rubber around, it doesn't work, but this seems to be holding... no leaks yet.
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

I rebuilt my petcocks about a month ago. I did just like that, putting grease on the rubber gasket that goes on the handle part. It was pretty stiff, but moved smoothly with a firm grip. I haven't had to move them since than as I usually fill up at 1/4 tank, so I don't know if they are still hard...I'll check tomorrow if I remember.
            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Put Di-eletric grease on the "O" ring & assembly & use fine sandpaper to shine up the flat part on the inside of the lever that goes against the flat rubber. The grease wash away when the gas hits it. I wrecked my O ring b4 I knew this trick & had to take it apart again. When the new kit is in (with the di-electric grease) it will be smooth as butter & no rubber tears - so no leaks. I always shut mine off & on all the time its been over 2 mths & they are still smooth with no resistance & leak proof. Use the sand paper, di-electric grease, & save some grief. - Dan
              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
              Rebuilt head, valves
              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
              Tkat Fork Brace
              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
              Dyna Coils & wires
              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
              ISO grips with stelleto ends
              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
              Bridgestone Spitfires
              Tuned by Tinman905
              & a will to keep it.

Comment

reason I haven't moved mine is its a standard=no shut off switch. Lucky for me, the vacuum shut off junk still works...at least after the rebuild
                1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Working...
                X