A Note To ALL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Note To ALL

Most of you know that I've been fighting a problem on the #4 cyl.

IT'S FIXED

The sync tube was slid into the intake boot 1 inch. This increased the velocity of the mixture thus reducing the pressure in the intake. This created more vacuum thus pulling in extra fuel. My bike now pulls from 1,500 rpms thru 8,000 rpm at any throttle opening flawless. It has to be the smoothest XS1100 I've ever ridden because of the hours I spent on the carbs and jetting chasing gremlins.

This should be a sticky because if it happened to me it will happen to a 100 others. I originally pulled the sync cap off, tube slid out with it. I tapped it back down in place and went to far not knowing that it slide into the intake boot approx. 1 inch. This cause it to cut out at about 1/2 throttle opening starting around 4,000 rpm. It also mad the #4 plug dry black, just like a choke opened. All 4 plugs are now white with a light tan coloring on them. Thanks to all of you for your input. I did learn this and another thing on here about calibration of sync gages. My K@L sync gages retail for about $300.00 and I never thought to check calibration using a vacuum pump.

Final thought. A dry black plug and cutting out while semi getting on it could be a sync tube slid into the intake. I'm still amazed. I wish Bob Jones was still around to tell him about this.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Im checking mine this evening! THANKS!
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I have to pull my carbs off anyway. A good time to check it. I have allmost the same problem.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
        I have to pull my carbs off anyway. A good time to check it. I have almost the same problem.
        Be sure to check the pickup wires. I used a vacuum pump and at idle I opened it and found 2 wires that needed repaired. This I thought was the problem. It was a problem but not the final fix. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I don't buy it. A restriction BEFORE the carb would make the mixture richer, but AFTER the carb how????

Comment

IIRC didn't you rtv the tube back in place? I'm kind of with Randy on this - that small of a restriction after the carbs - color me skeptical. Could it be that by rtving the tube in place a vacuum leak may have been plugged? May have been as simple as not allowing the cap down far enough on the tube to seal with it seated too far. Still, never hurts to check.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The mixture flowing around the 1/4 inch tube increases speed to catch up with the straight flowing mixture. Increasing the velocity lowers pressure resulting in more suction / vacuum thus drawing in more fuel and or maybe affecting the slide position at speed. This is all I know and it was the item that fixed it. New one on me also.

Somebody on our Planet has had a simmilar problem I'm sure. I didn't use RTV I just squeezed it back into place. It was very tight and I checked for leaks before and after. These were newer intake boots from Merriam.
              Last edited by Winterhawk; 05-11-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
                The mixture flowing around the 1/4 inch tube increases speed to catch up with the straight flowing mixture. Increasing the velocity lowers pressure resulting in more suction / vacuum thus drawing in more fuel and or maybe affecting the slide position at speed. This is all I know and it was the item that fixed it. New one on me also.

Somebody on our Planet has had a simmilar problem I'm sure. I didn't use RTV I just squeezed it back into place. It was very tight and I checked for leaks before and after. These were newer intake boots from Merriam.
                Being in the HVAC industry and knowing how air movement works I can say that his theory is sound, and has basis in fact. Air is not very elastic and doesnt tolerate changes in direction very well. Any obstruction in the path will change the velocity and pressure, no matter what side of the carb it's on.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

glad you got it all sorted out.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
                    Most of you know that I've been fighting a problem on the #4 cyl. - - - The sync tube was slid into the intake boot 1 inch. - - -
                    Hi 'hawk,
                    I've had my carbs apart many times but I'm vague as to what the real names of the parts are. So WTF is a sync tube?
                    Anyone want to post a diagram, please?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, I believe he is referring to the vacuum tube in the no 4 intake boot used to synch the carbs.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

alrighty then ...

awesome ...
                        80G Mini-bagger
                        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

venturi theory

Hi,

Winterhawks theory about the increase in air speed ,,,, can hold up,,, if you think about it,,,,,,,,

the entire lift that a fixed wing aircraft enjoys, is due to air flowing faster over the rounded top of the wing,, the air flowing under the wing which is flatter, is moving slower, the above wing vaccuum allows air to rush in under the wing,, lifting the aircraft.

If you will allow this tortured thinking, the air flows around the synch tube at higher speed than the other intakes, this raises vaccuum, compared to the other intakes,, increased vaccuum sucks out more fuel from the jets,,in that intake compared to the other intakes with normal synch tube positions,,,, creating the blackened plug from too much fuel. Wheewwww,,, man I dont know if I can stand too many more brain cells dedicated to this stuff guys. hahaha.
                          80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

Working...
                          X