Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting... Resolved!

Hi, All.

Just wanted to share my story, as I figure I'm not likely the only one who had this problem:

The bike didn't like to start... always took lots of cranking. It would usually give a spark just as I hit the starter button, and another as I let go of the button, and sometimes a few sparks in-between, but it wasn't consistent. It would also miss at idle up until the engine was really hot. This would sometimes result in a stall at a stop light or stopped in traffic, followed by lots of cranking, sweating, and swearing. Here's what I found:

1) The TCI was underpowered. Voltages that should have been the same as battery voltage were about 0.9V low. I think this was due to a 42 ohm resistance from the black wire at the TCI to ground with the key in the "on" position. I fixed this by cleaning and filing the ground connections at the voltage regulator (both between the regulator and the frame, and the ground rings that are bolted to the regulator).

2) I had both a ballast resistor, and high resistance coils installed. Also, the wires on the ballast resistor were really frayed, but I couldn't identify any actual broken wires, or shorting to ground. I unplugged the ballast resistor and connected the two ends that had been plugged into it (red wire with white stripe under the left side of the tank). Note that if you've got stock 1.5 ohm coils installed, you probably should need the ballast resistor connected. IIRC, my coils (not stock) were reading about 2.4 ohms, where the stock coils are only 1.5 ohms.

After I cleaned my ground connections and removed the ballast resistor, it seemed like the bike jumped to life as soon as I touched the start button without even a crank... just touched the button and had ignition. This monring, it was about 3 degrees C (damn near freezing for you southerners), and it fired right up again. Nothing caught fire on the ride to work, so I'm calling this resolved for now!

Hope this helps solve someone else's problem!
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Awesome job resolving that issue. Now of course, you should go through ALL the connections and make sure they are clean.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      Now of course, you should go through ALL the connections and make sure they are clean.
      I thought I had cleaned all the connections when I installed the new fuse block... now I'm pretty sure I have found all of them.

I forgot to mention that last night I also cleaned up a few other connectors that were fairly corroded.. One was for the kill switch, and two for the voltage regulator. Used connector cleaner and a Q-tip to clean them, compressed air to dry them, and dielectric grease when I put them back together to prevent it from corroding again.

Comment

Hey Big Red: Glad to here another Ontarioan putting up with the cold in the morning. Your tougher than me, I got 1/2hr ride to work & can only handle 4C less than that & my hands fall off b4 I get there. - Dan
        '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
        1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
        Rebuilt head, valves
        TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
        Tkat Fork Brace
        T.C. Spade Fuse Box
        Dyna Coils & wires
        Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
        ISO grips with stelleto ends
        4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
        Bridgestone Spitfires
        Tuned by Tinman905
        & a will to keep it.

Comment

Most of my ride to work on city streets, so I get to warm up at traffic lights. I'm good down to 0 C, then I get nervous about wet spots on the road. When all I had was this bike (no car), I'd ride right up until it snowed. I think my record was around -13C. It was cold. I'd worry about coming to a light and not being able to put my foot down, and then shattering when I hit the ground like a T1000.

Comment

Hey BigRed

A bunch of us Ottawa XS11s are organizing a ride on Sunday, come and share some road and coffee.

BlueGiant is organizing

Ted

Comment

Sounds good; let me know where and when we're going to start!

Comment

Working...
              X