Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like my carbs have to come off again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like my carbs have to come off again.

Looks as if i have to pull the carbs again. I have been fighting with adjusting them. They seem to synch allright, but i can't get them adjusted where i like the running. It cranks right on up there now, but at about 7000 RPM i need to let off the throttle just a hair to keep the speed increasing. For some reason it acts like its running out of fuel, but if i back off, it will keep climbing. I noticed that number three carb does not have as much response when adjusted. I wonder if one carb could be the problem. It is also very cold blooded after resetting the float levels, synching, and adjusting.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Did you colortune, or tune by ear?

What did you set your float height to?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

When you're syncing, the #3 carb doesn't actually change - it's static and you change the others to match its draw. On the 7k fuel starvation - have you checked to insure your gas cap vent isn't clogged? Crack the filler cap, and try it. If it doesn't exhibit the problem with the cap cracked, you probably need to clean the vent.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Float height at 24mm. Wet checked right at bowl slit level. This corrected the not wanting to rev over 5000, and made it run a whole lot stronger with the same 40 MPG. I understand that number three is a constant in the synching, but it does have it's own air/fuel mix adjustment. Tried the gas cap thing more than once with no change. Repaired pickup wires. adjusted valves, checked timing, and vac advance. Trimmed end of plug wires. It seems that maybe i just didn't get something clean enough in number three, or maybe the mixture screw is bad. The tuning was by ear.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

It is also very cold blooded after resetting the float levels, synching, and adjusting.
          Could be an indication of a lean condition. Could also be restricted enricher circuits. If you've got them off, you might double check the little jets at the bottom of the float bowls to make sure they're clear. A bread tie with the paper stripped off works well. You do have the late model carbs, right? You can usually tell by looking at the diaphragm cover. If the ones on #1 and #4 are chromed and relatively thin metal, they're probably the late models. If the caps are all made out of the same material - aluminum about 3/16" thick - then they're probably the earlier ones. Over the decades you never know what's been switched around, so I just thought I would ask. Also, are you running and modes on the exhaust or intake?

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
            You can usually tell by looking at the diaphragm cover. If the ones on #1 and #4 are chromed and relatively thin metal, they're probably the late models. If the caps are all made out of the same material - aluminum about 3/16" thick - then they're probably the earlier ones.
            He's got a MNS, and IIRC, on the LG, the outer carbs are gold, and the inner ones are not. On the LH, all 4 are exactly the same, all gold.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I have seen one '80 with the bastardized carbs that didn't have the plugs installed over the pilot jet tower. It would go to 5k and then it was like hitting a wall. If you have the late model carbs (as per Bug's description - thanks for the clarification) look down into the pilot jet tunnel. If you see a small orifice about 1/2" down, pointed at the main jet tunnel, then you've got the bastardized variety, and the towers need to be plugged. I don't know if the MNS's ever had these type installed, but being an '80 it's something to check. I'm just trying to figure out what we're looking at.

Comment

All four tops on mine are gold. I have not pulled them again yet, but probably will get around to it tonight. Modes??? I will pull all four down and look real good at the jets and all. I will try to figure out what it is you are talking about with the pilot holes.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                  All four tops on mine are gold. I have not pulled them again yet, but probably will get around to it tonight. Modes??? I will pull all four down and look real good at the jets and all. I will try to figure out what it is you are talking about with the pilot holes.
                  I doubt you will have the funny pilot jet tubes. On the MNS, the main and pilot jets are two completely separate tubes, fully accessible from directly below (or above, once turned upside down) with a screwdriver. There are no caps on the pilot jets like there are on the older model carbs.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I doubt you will have the funny pilot jet tubes.
                    I do too, but it doesn't hurt to check if the carbs are off. Sorry - meant to say mods, not modes .

Comment

No mods on the bike at all. As far as i know everything except for the front forks, handlebars, are stock. 11500 miles.
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Have you run a compression check on it?

Comment

You know, i have not thought of the need for that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to know for sure.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

It will give you an indication of the condition of your valves, which could have a bearing on the low vacuum. Never hurts to know.

Comment

pulled the compression check. 100 lbs across the board. Could not find in the manual where it said what factory specs were though.
                              Dang, i just thought about what i done. I have to repeat the test. I did not open the throttle. The bike was warm, but not hot.
                              Last edited by XS1100 Newbie; 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM.
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Working...
                              X