dynajet info & advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynajet info & advice

MY 1,2 and 4 are running lean, 3 is just right. I have some pods Im going to put on and recently drilled my pipes ( wish I could put that metal back!). Am I right to think I need the stage 3 kit? (look below for bike specs)

And why dynajet instead of replacing jets? I mean why is the dynajet preferred for performance? What does the kit consist of?
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

I had better luck just sticking with the mikuni jets. Seemed to run better with them than the dynojet jets. The different "stages" are simply different size jets.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I am at 1700 ft above sea level where i am and I am using a stage 1 kit. I have a after market Mac style 4 into 2 with no cross over and using pod filters. I was using 128 mains but after a few dyno runs I was running rich so I went to the 124 mains and 4 1/4 turns out on the idle screws. That was as close to perfect as I could ever want for my set up.That's just my set up your's may be different.
      As far as 1,2, 4 not the same as 3 try turning those idle screws in a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see how that goes.

The Dyno jet kits contain 124 , 128 and 138 main jet and needles . The 124 mains are used in the stage 1 kit . Some like these kits some don't. Sometimes it's just better with a stock set up that's where time and patience come in if you don't have the use of a dyno to show you .
      I find I get much better gas mileage with the Dyno jet than with a stock set up.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I guess Im just looking at why I should buy their kit. Why would I expect more performance from it that just tuning otherwise? I know on some bikes they supply a different slide spring.

On a side note, everyone should replace the shocks and springs on these bikes. What a difference.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Mine definitely did add some "area under the curve". Especially in low to mid range throttle response.

Mainly the part needed on the XS11 is the needle. Its adjustable like the early carbs, where the later carbs don't have adjustable needles. The taper is different as well, but I can't remember the exact difference off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
            On a side note, everyone should replace the shocks and springs on these bikes. What a difference.
            For sure, the stock XS shocks are "comfort" shocks with no compression damping.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Elevener,
              Ivan & I have had this discussion between us a few times in the past. For him, he only saw modest gains, and he didn't think it was worth the price. For me, it radically transformed my bike, I saw improvements in the starting, fuel mileage, torque curve... it just made it run great! So for me, it was well worth it. YMMV, as they say.

The kit also comes with the proper sized drill bit to increase the slide air holes a bit. I don't know what else to say except the Dynojet boys have really done their homework w/ these kits. I was sorry to hear the Ivan's results weren't as good as mine were. I have other friends who have installed them and had similar results to mine.

I've seen a 3-5 mpg gain in mine, and over time, that alone pays for itself. I like to take long trips, and the extra range was a big +.

The kit is a bit pricey... I paid $125 for mine. But, w/ today's gas prices, that pays back, fast. The other benifits I saw were just added bonuses...

One thing to bear in mind, if you have certain years of the XS that had adjustable needles already, you may not see all the benifits. But, for an XJ, I sure did. When I dropped those needles down to the lowest notch... that was the ticket!

Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.
              Regards,
              Bob
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

The Dyno jet kits are available at www.z1enterprizes.com for $95.77
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                  Now you tells me....

Good info to know, though!
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I can't back this up with any facts, but something tells me those are NOT true Dynojet kits. The Dynojet website warns of "counterfiet" kits that are lower quality. MikesXS sells them too, but there again, they don't look like they are actual Dynojet brand kits. Not sure if the Z1 or Mikes kits will perform as well as the true Dynojet kits, but they may...
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      I can't back this up with any facts, but something tells me those are NOT true Dynojet kits. The Dynojet website warns of "counterfiet" kits that are lower quality. MikesXS sells them too, but there again, they don't look like they are actual Dynojet brand kits. Not sure if the Z1 or Mikes kits will perform as well as the true Dynojet kits, but they may...
                      MikesXS doesn't sell Dyno Jet kits. I purchased a Dyno Jet Kit from Z1 and they sell the real Dyno Jet Kit. Or they copied all the packaging and labeling to make it look like a real "Dyno Jet kit". The dyno pull results that I got are my prove the kit I bought is the real deal.
                      BDF Special

Comment

MikesXS doesn't sell Dyno Jet kits.
                        They do sell what they call a Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit, #48-0667, $44 (only does 2 carbs):

Good to know on the Z1 kit though!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

I don't remember where I got mine, but I do know that the Dynojet website has a write up on how to spot the ripoffs. Mine passed all the tests, and is genuine by all accounts.

I wouldn't say my kit wasn't worth the money, at least now. It decreased my mileage, but the torque gains and throttle response are a definitive improvement. There again, I run most of the time at speeds that have the slides firmly planted in the up position. I think this happens from about 5/8 throttle on up. So, the kit won't help a thing at that point. I have heard (Dan Hodges, I think) that Vmax springs help out as a replacement for these old ones which may have gone weak, causing the slides to ride higher than normal.

It like having a new toy every day, with all the tuning these take.

Comment

Working...
                          X