Starter Cover Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Cover Question

The question I have is concerning the 2 parts which make up an oval shape on the left side of the engine. The rear of the oval is the outer end cap of the starter. The front half is listed as a bearing holder. The rear part of the oval comes out with the starter and is actually the end of the starter. The front part of the oval is held in by 3 allen bolts. From the parts diagram the front half appears to have only 2 o-rings holding it in place once the 3 allen bolts are removed.... as well as a small lip that fits behind the starter end cap. My question is to how easy the front bearing holder part is to actually remove and replace. It appears to be held in quite firmly once the bolts are out. Though my quote might allude to it.... I am not fond of forcing parts loose. Is there a suggested method for removing the bearing holder? I need to pull it to polish it. I've already polished the starter end cap and would really like to get the two halves to match. LOL
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Also..... I am still looking for a timing/advance cover. Mine had a hole in it so I ended up patching and painting it. I would like to find a whole one so I can polish it and the stator cover to match.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

Jeff, are you trying to remove the starter motor? Or disassemble the starter motor that you have already removed?
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=803

Scroll down the page for a blow-up of the starter. Yes, the starter just pulls out. Unbolt those three allens and remove the cover. Mine has two long bolts and a short one, by the way. Pull the starter motor straight to the left (left as you sit on the bike) and then just a little towards the back. I just had mine out yesterday. Watch the oil pressure electric line. The book shows routing over the starter, but I routed mine under.
        Marty in NW PA
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

I have already removed the starter and disassembled it. It comes out quite easily. The part I am attempting to remove is just in front of the visible end of the starter. It is the front half of the oval shape made up of it and the visible end cap of the starter. It is held in by 3 6mm allen bolts thru its face. When you take out the starter... you can see behind it a little bit. When you replace the starter.... it is the part that the flat edge on the outer cover of the starter butts up against creating a joint that spits the oval looking assembly into two halves.

I was going to polish the upper starter cover too but found that it is not actually metal.... but only plated plastic.

Hopefully.... this weekend I will have time to pull my carbs again and paint the carb bodies. I intend to paint the bodies and polish the upper diaphragm covers and float bowls.

On the rest of the engine... I plan to paint the block and cylinders and polish just the outer edges of the fins on the cylinders. The stator cover and timing/advance covers will be polished as will the engine case covers just behind them.... the ones that the kickstart shaft and gear shift shaft poke thru.
          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

I think I see which part you are talking about. Sorry I did not have that part out, certainly looks like it is just the 3 allens holding it.

Sounds like that engine is going to be a work of art! What color? Don't forget photos!
            Marty in NW PA
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
              The part I am attempting to remove is just in front of the visible end of the starter. It is the front half of the oval shape made up of it and the visible end cap of the starter. It is held in by 3 6mm allen bolts thru its face.
              That is all that is holding it in, those 3 bolts and a very tight fit. Only thing I can suggest is to use a long block of wood and try to catch the edge of it and gently drive it out with a hammer.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Hey there Jeff,

I remember pulling mine off a while back when I did my rebuild, pulling off the starter and such for inspection. It is a snug fit, and so you might try a slow gentle rotating action clockwise, then counterclockwise as you are pulling on it to get it loose. Those two rubber seals do hold it well, and the fit is very tight, but it will come off with perserverance!

Yes, some pictures are a must when you get done!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X