It's Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!

Picked up my first Xs1100 on 4/13/10. The bike is a '80 Standard and came with a parts bike that is approximately 90% complete. Over the course of the last few weeks I have been cleaning and tinkering a lot with it. Well, last night I went throught the entire fuel system, cleaned up carbs,tank,new fuel and vaccuum lines,etc. I also went ahead installed new plugs gapped to spec. After fiddling with it for a few minutes to prime the fuel system the bike sputered like it wanted to take off. At the time I had #1 plug out rechecking for spark. After it attempted to start I put plug back in and gave her hell. All I can say is WOW! I now understand what the XS is about. This son of a gun sounds friggin' mean! That might be due to the 4-1 header and Kerker muffler. The throttle response is ridiculously quick. I just need to to fine tune everything now, but, if it runs like it does now without fine tuning, I can't wait to see how it runs after it's dialed in.

I would also like to say this would not have been possible without this forum. The carb rebuild/disassembly tips and instructions proved to be invaluable.

You can't help but grin when you hear that first start! Good to hear it's working for you. Get the carbs dialed in, and it will only get better as the microscopic gunk gets flushed out of the system.

Not sure if you already did them, but be sure the brakes work before you make it go anywhere!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post

Not sure if you already did them, but be sure the brakes work before you make it go anywhere!
      I still need to do brake system. Gonna rebuild MC's, calipers, new pads,lines,drill rotors, etc. I couldn't entertain the idea of riding it before doing this.

Comment

Good

idea as these bikes will do triple digits within seconds and pull your arms out of socket getting there!
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I can second that grin that you can't wipe off.........wait until you ride it and feel that shaft buck and the huge pulling power of these beasts! Your face will cramp up because you can't quit smiling!
          1980 XS1100G
          Tulsa, OK

Comment

Working...
          X