Baffle options...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffle options...

So today on the way to work while playing with a hopped up toyota at speeds not exceeding 5 over (5 over 120 anyway), just as I was passing him, things got VERY loud VERY quick.

After getting to work, I realized I lost the baffle.

So, what are my potions? It looks like a MAC, but is longer and better made. Its a four into one, megaphone type, but has no branding. Are there any will-fit options?
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    - - - I realized I lost the baffle.
    So, what are my potions? It looks like a MAC, but is longer and better made. Its a four into one, megaphone type, but has no branding. Are there any will-fit options?
    Hi Ivan,
    Pabst and Jack Daniels? OK, I realize you meant options but I couldn't resist.
    Option 1) Do nothing and relish the noise. BTW was there a change in performance after the bike "went on the megga"?
    Option 2) If the blown muffler bolts off, catalog shop for a new one.
    option 3) If the blown muffler is welded on can you weld another baffle in there?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Option #4) Go back to where it got loud and try to find the baffle to weld back in.

Ok, so it's probably the worst possible option, but it IS an option.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

its for **** under 3500 rpm. after that nearly the same. I didn't try to top it out, but it used to hit 130 fairly easy. However, it stumbles and farts at low revs and won't get out of its own way. Just like the other bike when I had the cherry bomb.

I think the restriction is vital for low end on these.

Other than that, looks like I might be looking in catalogs for a replacement. Gonna be hell looking for something I don't know the name of....

Comment

Ivan,

What's the diameter of the muffler at the outlet?

I have an unused baffle from a Jardine 4/1 which you can have for shipping cost if you want it...it fits in a 4" diameter (at the outlet) pipe. A single pop rivit secures it (or you could use a sheet metal screw).

(I bought an NOS Supertrapp baffle for the Jardine from Karla last year to replace it.)
          Last edited by Guy_b_g; 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM.
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Ivan,

By unused I mean it's never been used.
            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Ivan,

You might make a trip back to Karla's. There was a 4-1 up in her garage that the headers were beat up on, but the muffler seemed OK if I remember right. Might cut that one off and weld that one to yours?

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well, I have something scabbed up from another old beat up exhaust that was laying in the corner. It isn't right, and some idgit drilled holes inthe baffle, so it is loud, but me ears don't bleed when I ride.

Guy, I will PM you about shipping, I think I would be interested. Thanks.

Comment

Hey Ivan, I might have what you are looking for. I also have a 4 to 1 meg system that has nothing marked on it at all. muffler looks good, headers have surface rust. I was going to clean it up and just paint the headers before selling it. If you are interested, I will take pictures of it and send to you. PM me with your e-mail if you are interested.
                  1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

"It ain't braggin if you can do it" Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                  X