Fork Springs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Springs??

I have heard from several riders and on various forums that with the use of new progressive fork springs I can eliminate the need for charging the front forks. What exactly is used to charge the forks, nitrogen? I was just curious to whether or not this was true with the new springs. Also, if I can do without charging the forks, where might I find caps that don't have the schrader valve?

Thanks,
    Rob

That is correct; Progressive states that putting air in the forks is no longer needed. I believe you can swap 'standard' fork caps for the 'specials' to get rid of the valves.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the fast reply.

Comment

The Special's have air valves in the fork caps also .
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
          The Special's have air valves in the fork caps also .
          ...but the standards (at least the early models) don't.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The caps are different threads between the two. Just change your springs and use your air caps, just don't put air in them.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
              I have heard from several riders and on various forums that with the use of new progressive fork springs I can eliminate the need for charging the front forks. What exactly is used to charge the forks, nitrogen? I was just curious to whether or not this was true with the new springs. Also, if I can do without charging the forks, where might I find caps that don't have the schrader valve?
              Thanks,
              Rob
              Hi Rob,
              you inflate the forks with plain ol' air. Use a bicycle pump or other controlled pressure system to do it as they only take a low pressure, they pump up real quick and too much pressure may blow the fork seals.
              The Progressive kit blurb does say you can use zero pressure with their springs but I'd suggest keeping the valved caps to keep the pressure option open.
              This only occurred to me after I'd completed the Progressive spring swap on my Special's forks and I wasn't about to tear them down again.
              The length of plastic sleeve in the kit that you saw two lengths off to put in atop the springs still had some left over. You could cut longer pieces to increase the spring preload, up to just cutting the sleeve in half. May be a bitch to get the caps back on though?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Kit ?? What kit ? Mine just came as a set of springs and a list of bikes they'd fit, and what length spacer to use. I used a 75mm (3") length of 20mm uPVC pressure pipe in each side with no air. As mentioned in a previous post, when I had standard springs I used 7 psi of Nitrogen because I have ready access to it.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yeah, I am gonna keep the air caps because I like the idea of having it as an option. I just need to get a new valve. Anyone know where to get those? Thanks again for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
                    Yeah, I am gonna keep the air caps because I like the idea of having it as an option. I just need to get a new valve. Anyone know where to get those? Thanks again for advice.
                    Hi Rob,
                    just the innards? ain't it the same one used in tires?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                      Kit ?? What kit ? Mine just came as a set of springs and a list of bikes they'd fit, and what length spacer to use. - - -
                      Hi Brian,
                      my kit had 2 springs, a "how to" leaflet in French & English and a length of black plastic tubing.
                      You musta got the cheap kit they send to the colonies?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Brian,
                        my kit had 2 springs, a "how to" leaflet in French & English and a length of black plastic tubing.
                        You musta got the cheap kit they send to the colonies?
                        Maybe to keep the shipping weight down
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                        X