Compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression?

Just curious...I hear a lot of discussion about checking the cranking compression, but I have yet to see any numbers that should be considered within range for decent shape. What is considered reasonable? Of course, depending on altitude and so on. Thx
    1980 xs 11 special
    1969 camaro pro street project (for sale)

Originally posted by wylie coyote View Post
    Just curious...I hear a lot of discussion about checking the cranking compression, but I have yet to see any numbers that should be considered within range for decent shape. What is considered reasonable? Of course, depending on altitude and so on. Thx
    Hi Wylie,
    150 psi on all 4 is real good. Note that all 4 should read within 10% of each other. Thus 120psi on all 4 shows a high mileage engine that's still good for several thousand miles more but 150-150-150-120 shows #4 is in trouble and needs work.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, Fred, that makes me really excited 'cause I just checked on the weekend, and had 152-158 across all four. Didn't expect her to be in that good a shape!
      '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Here's a link for some altitude conversions I found regarding compression. I know some of us are pretty well up there.
        I don't know if I pasted this in right, but you should be able to follow it by pasting it or whatever...(Hey- I tried)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._rebuild-2.htm
        1980 xs 11 special
        1969 camaro pro street project (for sale)

Comment

Working...
        X