oil filter adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I get my oil filters at the local autoparts stores. Autozone, Advance, Smythe, and O\'Reilly all carry them here locally for about $4 a pop for a fram with the big o-ring.
    I noticed the last couple of filters I got from Autozone (STP filter-which they no longer carry here) and O'riley's- Fram filters both had as you said the big O-ring, the O-ring is really too big on both of these, is there a place to get a filter with the right O-ring?
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

I have been using Fram CH6002 I buy off the shelf at Advance. The o-rings in there have been fine for me.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

the O-ring is really too big on both of these, is there a place to get a filter with the right O-ring?

These are the right size O-ring, they've just been folded and such in the package for long periods. The best thing I've found to do with them, is stick them into the groove, then smear some grease around on it to hold it there. After you install it and it's had a couple heat/cooling cycles, it irons out the tendancies to flip up. I usually re-use them a few times before I notice them starting to get flattened out a bit, so I have a few spares in case I ever get a filter that has no O-rings with it. BUT... I probably have to change the oil more often than most with the miles I do. So actual TIME the O-ring has been installed, not necessarilly the amount of oil changes is probably going to determine when you need to change it.

I was told that Fram was quitting production of the CH6002 filter. Last fall, they were starting to get scarce, so I bought the last dozen or so they had in their warehouse. Hopefully they started making them again.. I'll have to check my local stores since I have had no need to check for a while.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

NAPA will sell you all the filters you want...comes with both O-rings that FIT....part #PS 4933
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hastings LF572, Purolator ML26802
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight
            1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
            A quick death and an easy one.
            A pretty girl and an honest one.
            A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the o-ring was too big on a few of the stp and the one fram I ordered at O'reilly's. Maybe they got streached out from the way they were packaged, but they would have at least two inches of o-ring sticking out I had to try to shove in the grove without it popping out before I got it tightened. I had been using an old one and finally went to leaking, so last time I made due with the one that came with the fram.

Trbig, I'll try the grease next time, thanks for the tip.

Motoman, I will check out NAPA, and maybe some of those other brands, thanks again guys for your help.
              '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
              X