Exhaust header nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust header nut

I need to put these on my project bike. Is there any reason other then aesthetics to go with 90179-08004-00 Yamaha part? Could I get away with regular 8mm nuts and a stack of washers?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

I would go with the bronze nuts for a chevy exhaust. That's what I put in place of a bad nut on one bike. They work well, stay on, but don't rust on. The later small block chevy engine uses the 8mm stud for the exhaust, so they are easy to get. Just use a single washer, that's all you need.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray, now if only someone could teach me how to post in the proper area...
      Mike C
      Lake Orion, Michigan
      '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

I could try, but the 2X4 is only so long........
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
          I need to put these on my project bike. Is there any reason other then aesthetics to go with 90179-08004-00 Yamaha part? Could I get away with regular 8mm nuts and a stack of washers?
          I got some chrome acorn nuts off ebay cheap. They were sold in an assortment.

They are working great. I put them on without a washer. Probably should have used one though.

YEA!......don't say it! I'll wash it later today.

Comment

Hey, Greg.

Most people have stock headers. The exhaust flange is different, with whichever fastener you choose having to fit down inside the flange. Most of the time, the exhaust stud doesn't protrude past the edge of that flange.

Now, the heck with washing it.... Fix that dang valve cover leak first!

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Hey, Greg.
              Now, the heck with washing it.... Fix that dang valve cover leak first!

Tod
              LOL... I haven't washed it since........way before MoM. The valve cover gasket itself isn't leaking, the front cam plug seeps and it follows along the gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                LOL... I haven't washed it since........way before MoM. The valve cover gasket itself isn't leaking, the front cam plug seeps and it follows along the gasket.
                Hey, don't waste time washing it that could be spent riding it. I figure if I can't seen through the windshield on the fairing it's time to wash it. Of course this year has been nice in one way. Mother nature has been taking care of the washing for me.

I did wash each part before the sanding in prep for painting though. And I'm gonna wash the other parts before I prep them for painting as well. But why wash the rest? It's just gonna get dirty again as soon as I ride it.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X