Wheel/rim intechange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel/rim intechange?

I've searched previous threads/posts and couldn't find where anyone has asked if there are any wire spoked wheels that could be used on the '80 Standard. I like the looks of the wire wheels but don't know if they are possible.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

You can use the dual-disc XS650 front wheel, but for the rear the only bolt-on choice is a rear off a limited-production, sold-in-Japan-only model (850?) that's all but impossible to find. A few guys have tracked these down off of international EBay, but none of them would admit what they paid...

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, I was told that the only direct replacement for the rear is from a GX750which was Japan only and like few hundred were made. Thats fine because I still like the factory ones I have.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
        I've searched previous threads/posts and couldn't find where anyone has asked if there are any wire spoked wheels that could be used on the '80 Standard. I like the looks of the wire wheels but don't know if they are possible.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
        Rob
        Hi Rob,
        to expand on what Steve said, all XS650 disk-brake fronts are drilled for twin disks and the wheel itself plugs straight in. The nice XS650 wire wheels are from a '75 and it's two part disk is dished differently, however the later one-piece disks will fit the bolt circle.
        But yeah, the rear is a bear.
        The least costly rear wire wheel would have to be a home-build. Saw the spokes on a cast rear so the hub will swing in a lathe, turn the hub nice and round with a groove each side to weld on spoke-head rings and lace on the rim of your choice.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X