• Show
Clear All

• Got it Running...hearing some strange noise

Ok. I have a 78 xs11 standard.
    After doing some repairs:
    Lights
    Ignition
    Changed main Oil

The bike fires right up but idles a little rough(carb cleaning and syncing should fix that).

The problem that i have encountered is a clanking sound coming from the transmission. I could not tell if it is coming from the clutch, middle gears or something else.

Any insight would be helpful.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Is the noise happening while moving, or just while sitting still with the engine running? Does RPM increase change the sound?

Do you have the heat shields on the mufflers? If they are loose, they can rattle and make an awfull racket that's hard to locate.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Had it on the center stand in nutral.
      When reving the engine it chanks faster. It sound lik a loose/ broken gear
      I have not taken it through the gears while the bike is running, but I have taken it throught he gears just sitting there rocking back and forth.

No heat shield. It has 4 to 1
      Ty

Comment

You might try setting it on the sidestand so you don't have to drain the oil, pull the clutch cover, and check that the bolt that holds the gear shaft against the engine case hasn't backed out. It could be backed out slightly and letting gears clash a bit, (Doubtfull since it's in neutral) or that bolt could be backed out enough to let the clutch basket gear grind on the head of it. If you have the cover off, that bolt will be sitting at @ the 7 oclock position behind the clutch basket.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

also try checking the vacuum line from the timing advance to the port on the carb body, not the carb boot. i did this and it sounded like the engine had blown up!
          1981 xs1100 midnight special
          1983 750 midnight maxim
          resurrected:
          1977 goldwing
          1980 cb750
          North central Wisconsin

Comment

Maybe the cam chain tensioner bolt stripped out and came loose? Could it be so simple? Probably not.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Out of sink carbs will cause the engine to buck, and the main Hy-Vo chain will slap the case inside the engine. Might be your problem. JAT
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

On syncing the carbs, do I sync #1 to #2 then #3 to #4 then #2 to #3 the same as my XJ750?
                Ty

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                  On syncing the carbs, do I sync #1 to #2 then #3 to #4 then #2 to #3 the same as my XJ750?
                  Yep. That's the way to do it. Beware though that as you adjust any of them, it can affect the others. Using a 4-port sync tool is best, so you can see all of them at the same time.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Nope...#3 is not adjustable. You tune them to that. 1 to 2, 4 to 3, then 2 to 3.

With the running time you'll need to synch the carbs, if that nut I spoke of is getting ground on, or the gears meshing from it being loose, it could cause more problems. A Hy-Vo chain isn't going to sound like a broken tansmission gear, and the sound from it comes mostly from right under the cylinders. If it sounds like it's further back in the clutch or middle drive area you described, that's where I suggest looking first.

I wouldn't say this is a very common problem, but it has happened quite a bit to people.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
                      Maybe the cam chain tensioner bolt stripped out and came loose? Could it be so simple? Probably not.
                      maybe a valve job will help the chatter...helped mine alot but still chatters a little but goes away after a certen rpm
                      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                      1980 gs1000g "stock"
                      1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                      2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Took the clutch cover off and could not see anything wrong there. I will check out things on the other site of the bike tomorrow.
                        Ty

Comment

Working...
                        X