Finished custom airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished custom airbox

Well it ain't pretty but it works. I didn't want to use pods because people had all the tuning issues and I wanted to retain the stock velocity stacks that were inside the original airbox. So this was my solution.......4 inch peice of PVC cut out one side of it..fiberglassed in a flat peice, and end caps..fiberglassed in a peice of 3 inch pipe out the back and used a filter from pepboys for 20$. My fiberglass skills are absolutley horrible but the box works and its water tight.....and light.

1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Looks like you had fun! A couple of questions though.

What's the copper pipe for? Is that what your electrical wires run through?
    Where is your battery?
    Did you build in any kind of support for the carbs? The weight of all that "stuff" hanging off the back should be supported somehow. The airbox usually takes care of that, but this setup is even longer than the stock airbox.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

most of the wires are run in the copper pipe and the battery is under the rear cowl with the electronics. The weight will be supported by a metal strap that hasn't been fitted yet.
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

creative engineering..

well done..

i'm wondering how it performs.

Please let us know, projects like this evolve and make for great idea's.

Good thinking!

Happy Riding
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
        1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by MeatTooth View Post
          Well it ain't pretty but it works. - - - -
          Hi 'Tooth,
          what's the length of those rear shocks and how far has the bike gone with them?
          I got me a total bargain on a set of 14" shocks but chickened out on running with them because of the extreme swingarm angle the bike had at the trial installation.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I used to run these on my dirt bikes in case I swamped one.

http://outerwears.com/

I got stuck in the rain a few years back when the K&N stacks on my Road Warrior got soaked and the motor couldn't breathe. My brother turned me on to these covers and I never had another problem in the rain with an exposed filter. I think they could help you if you ever got stuck in the rain with that set up.
            Last edited by Deathdeelr; 05-03-2010, 02:29 AM. Reason: Hit Post instead of Preview.
            Me Make Big Dings Wid Hamma N Welda

1979 XS1100F
            1985 VMX1200

Comment

I have four pods and have run through absolute deluge conditions with nary a hiccup. I don't suppose that setup will have any troubles with it tucked in behind the side covers and under the seat.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Doesn't look to me like there are any provisions for mounting side covers on that frame, Ivan.
                Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Probably so, but I assume that he will fabricate something to cover the battery. For some reason the custom builders just haven't been able to realize the true beauty of an exposed NeverStart battery.

For that matter, neither have I.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                    Probably so, but I assume that he will fabricate something to cover the battery. For some reason the custom builders just haven't been able to realize the true beauty of an exposed NeverStart battery.

For that matter, neither have I.
                    The battery is just behind the seat, as part of the "back-rest".
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

I think that's a neat bit of work. I love barnyard freestylin'! Looks cool!
                      1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Working...
                      X