Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forward shift conversion????

Hello

This is my first post to this forum. I would like to start by saying "HI" to everyone here. I look forward to visiting and participating in the site quite often

O.K. here is my question? I own a 1980 xs-1100sg though I love the bike I am a long legged fellow and the positioning of the back brake and shifting controls makes it quite difficult for me to use {just not as limber as I used to be} I find myself using my front brakes most all the time to stop. Does anyone know of a forward shift and brake conversion that fits on these bikes I don't find any made for this bike in parts magazines and the web, any information or help would be greatly appreciated. I have highway pegs mounted on my crash bars that work great for the highway but in town I really need to be able to use my feet closer to the controlls and I just cant bend enough to do so.

Thanx for your help ~~JIM~~

Forward controls are like a 6th gear...everyone wants one! Truth is there were few forward cotrols sold for the XS or XJ. All is not lost, but there is fabrication involved.

At least one person has adapted a floorboard set-up from an early Gold Wing on his XS. Brake linkage was modified and attached to Honda brake lever on the floorboard yielding a forward-control brake. Mod involved cutting the Yamaha brake "arm" to make it shorter and drilling a hole in it to acept the Honda brake rod.

Shift lever is more difficult. Turns out, though, that the Yamaha splines on the shift shat are the same as some Honda shafts of about the same era. (I have a heel-toe shifter from a Honda on my XJ. Fits perfectly.) So, the same deal applies...you would need to get a couple shift levers, cut and re-weld to get the correct angle, and hook it up to a Gold Wing or custom-built forward control linkage. Alternative is to start with a Honda unit (early Gold Wing stuff comes up on eBay fairly often) and modify it to fit.

Marklund is a brand name that makes a lot of the forward-control aftermarket kits for the major brands. I've been tolds they did make an XS kit. You might try contacting salvage yards and maybe get lucky and find one. If not, modifying a Honda unit (I don't know about the shift shafts of other makes, they may also work) to fit your XS is the next-best option. Bulding one from scratch may be possible; if you do, post pics and share your experience with the rest of us!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanx Jerry

I was afraid you might say that fabrication word LOL. It is good to hear that there is a way though, I really like the bike and the only way for me to use the controls properly is to sit on the upper deck of my seat {not the best alternative}. I am heading to a local salvage yard this week as I am also dilligently trying to locate a left hand side cover seems that this is a premium item and very hard to find, It's the only piece thats missing on my bike Maybe the Gods will smile on me and I will find at least one of the parts mentioned. Thanx again for the input and I will let you know how things work out.

Yamaha xs-1100sg It may be my first bike but BOY OH BOY what a BIKE!!!!! ~~~JIM~~~

Comment

Too Tall???

Hey there Jim,

I'm 6'6" tall myself, have a 37-38" inseam, and can fit on my XS and reach the controls fairly comfortably from the front spot on my Calvalcade style seat!?!? However, I, too, want to get some forward controls, BUT, I want to maintain my standard ones as well, for I feel more in control in tight traffic and running on mountain roads with tight twisties with my feet right below me instead of stretched out way in front!?!?

So....Jerry, after I get my welding rig for Xmas, I plan on making a set of controls that will allow me to do just what I mentioned above, have forward and still have stock controls....so I will be doing some heavy "fabrication"...er riggin' style work to get it done. I already have some ideas on how to accomplish it, and I have a digital camera, so will definitely document my efforts and post when completed!! Wish me luck, and I wish you luck Jim in your hunts!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Guy who did the coversion I mentoned is Rick Jemison from Indianapolis. He had a link in the Off-Site Tech Tips, but is off-line at the present. I have his home addres and phone. Have not contacted him for over a year, hope the contact info is still good. If you want it, contact me off-line.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

Hi Topcat

Thanx!! How in the world you fit on the bike I can't comprehend LOL. I am a mere 6ft 2 with a 35 inseam, my problem is I was shot in the right knee deer hunting one year and my knee dosen't bend like it should. Although I have no problem getting my left foot back to shift getting that right one back to use the brake is the tuffy. A friend gave me another thought, he said I should try connectimg the rear brakes to operate with the front brakes??? He said he talked to a guy that did this very thing to his bike, after having the pleasure of T-bonening a car which left his right leg basically screws and plates.

Is this even possible?
            wouldn't there be a timing issue when applying the brakes??

All your input has been very helpfull, heck if you get yours figured out and I like the looks maybe I could just hire you to do it for me LOL good luck and thanx again

By the way I procured my 80 xs1100sg about 6 years ago. I traded a 1965 mustang coupe that was in severe need of restoring, but still road worthy I paid $2000 for the mustang and drove it for 2 years. The owner also gave me $400 dollars as well with the bike. I thought it was a pretty even trade. The bike at that time had around 14,000 miles, and now has almost 23,000 runs great and has never given me a problem
            Thanx ~~~JIM~~~

Comment

Well, I'n not as tall as either of you...only 6'1". I did replace my footpegs with floorboards, which drops my feet about 1 - 1.5 inches lower than stock. I find this more comfortable on long trips. You loose come clearance in cornering, but since the mounts are stock I can swap in the standard pegs in about 10 minutes or less doing both sides. Had to make the mounts, but floorboards came off eBay for around $20.00 (missing brackets) and whole conversion cost less than $30.00.

Left side (have replaced the stock shifter with a heel-toe since this photo taken):

Right side:

Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbjamb62
                A friend gave me another thought, he said I should try connectimg the rear brakes to operate with the front brakes??? He said he talked to a guy
                Thanx ~~~JIM~~~
                How about putting XJ brake system on your bike? Aren't they 'tied' together? Might just need to re-route the hoses to work off the hand brake instead of the foot.
                Just a thought.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

XJ "linked braking system" ties left front caliper to rear caliper through a proportioning valve on the rear master cylinder. Timing isn't really an issue as long as the proportioning valve works OK. I like the system, but a few XJ owners have converted back to separate front-rear systems. To convert shouldn't be to hard, but there are a few bracket differences for the front hoses since the XJ does not use a "T" fitting to split pressure between the front calipers.

I think a conversion would be possible, but it would be best to get the complete XJ rear MC with proportioning valve and all hoses frm a doner XJ. One other issue....front MC on the XS moves enough volume for two calipers; if you put in the XJ system the front MC will power only 1 caliper. Could make the front brake a little touchy.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.

Comment

I have a new set of forward controls for the XS11, but it is not complete.
                    They are still wrapped in plastic. It looks as if someone has used some of the parts for another project.
                    The package states that it is for the XS11.
                    If you would like, I can get you some pics.
                    This might be enough of a headstart to make it worth your while to make/find the missing pcs.
                    Let me know if there is any interest.

Mike
                    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Mike:

I might be interested. How much would you have to get for what you have left in the package? Any chance it has both shifting and brake parts?
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

It IS both sides, but no linkages are in the box.
                        On the shifter side, there is the toe/heel shifter. On the brake side, there is a brake pedal, with a longer arm. I think that there might be pegs as well. No floorboards or linkages to the M/C.
                        I am not really sure what the value is.
                        How does $30 sound???

Mike
                        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Mike:

Contact me off-line at

fieldsjs@sopris.net

and we'll make the arrangements. I always did like a challenge....
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                          X