My gas gauge works....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gas gauge works....

On my '79 Standard. I don't mean I could calculate my fuel economy at a glance, but it reads a full tank right, is usually close at a half a tank and is down to it's last gallon and a half or so at empty.

Is this unusual? How many of you guys have working, reliable gas gauges?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Mine works great on my '79F. I usually get 125 miles before switching to reserve and have never gone more than 150 miles on reserve in fear of running out. At half tank I know I have about 60 miles left before I need to look for gas...its repeatable and I always check my MPG's everytime I fill up, I usually get 30 MPG, sometimes better sometimes worse. Im waiting for the chance to shim my vlalves, re-jet, sync, and tune F/A. I would expect to see more MPG's after that. But, of course I dont just putt around on it either, 6000 RPM is when the symphony starts to play.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Mine is spot on almost eerie accurate. When the needle hits E the 'reserve sputter' begins. But then I did install an NOS tach assembly in '07 so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Comment

On my XJ the gas gauge sucks...its a LCD display by bars and even with a full tank it will only read 3 out of 4 bars...sometimes it does go to 4 bars but a few miles down the road and its at 3 ... I have to rely on the odo. and miles per tank...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The gage has a bimetalic reed that is wrapped with wire. The more the amps, the more it bends and deflects the needle for the meter. Those things break off at the base from repeated stress. To check if this has happened, remove the gage and tip it left and right, it will cause the needle to jump around rather than be constant at zero (key off).
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Mine works great. Open the cap and look. Perfect reading every time!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Mine works, when it feels like it. I haven't actually figured out if its the sender or the regulator, but I suspect the regulator since it started when I changed the tank long about a year ago. When I get to painting the tank, I'm gonna try swapping the sending units, then if that don't work I'll check that regulator and build me a new one from scratch if it's bad.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Mine works when it wants to, usually works after a fill up but after a few miles or even days, it quits. I rely on the odo or ride next to a Special to figure gas stops.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                X