Carb Boots Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Boots Bad?

I just washed the old girl, used engine degreaser all around the valve cover to remove old caked oil and grime and then a good rinsing all over.

When I started it up to let all the water steam off I noticed the carb boots pulsing. They have slight weather cracking on them, the water was pulsing in them but not getting sucked in. The whole boot even seemed to be pulsing in and out.

No problems with it running though, should I bother with pulling the carbs to inspect the insides of the boots? (I'm running the stock airbox so PITA) or just do the starter fluid spray trick and see if anything is leaking through?

Thanks for your advice all!
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

hi richard!

you can remove the boots clean them well ,,then apply about 10 coats of plasti-dip black ,,one coat at a time and let dry its a good fix and relatively cheap,first make sure you have a problem ,,i,m sure someone else will tell you how,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I'm going to take a stab before the gurus get here. I'm guessing cam chain adjustment is in order if it is all 4 of them, if it is not all of them, I'm guessing you need to do some valve adjustments.

That's my guess, lets see what the brainiacs say....
      1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
      2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Hey Drake, I see where you might guess that, but I would not agree. Now, if a compression check showed some strange or screwy stuff, I might then think to check valves.

The carb boots see negative pressure on every intake stroke. If they are getting thin, it might pulse like that. I agree with Mo, except you do not necessarily need to remove if your careful and clean.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks again all, I'll do the plasti dip treatment. The irritating thing is that these boots are only a couple years old. I do have a spare set in my basement that are about in the same condition, maybe not thin and wouldn't pulse. . . I may just dip those and switch them out.

Does anyone know a good solvent or oil and grease remover to go over them with before doing the plasti dip?
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Reason I say that is b/c when we synced mine at MoM, my 1 & 4 was both sucking and blowing. when water was sprayed on my boots, you could see them "pulsing" as well. Some of the gurus there attributed it to a valve issue that should be fixed sometime.

Comment

Yup.......you had quite a lot of fluctuation on the guages too dale. But you need to ride it a while and get everything seated in again.

How's the wobble?

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                How's the wobble?
                Not to hijack this thread, but its been really well. It came back a little just as we were pulling into Norman, but I'm pretty sure it is my tire, and only happens sometimes at higher speeds. I'm slowly putting together a list of more parts to replace/repair like all the bearings in wheels, steering, and swing arm. After finals I'll take a day or two to just rip into it all and get them changed.

As for the tire, I'm working with motorcycle superstore to see if I can get a new one and have it installed for free/paid by them.

Once that's done, I was thinking I might take a weekend ride to Tulsa or Ada and see if I could stuff someone there with food in exchange for looking over my shoulder while I do some valve checking and anything else to do while I've got the lid off.

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                  As for the tire, I'm working with motorcycle superstore to see if I can get a new one and have it installed for free/paid by them.
                  Good luck with that! I managed to get my tire supplier to agree to replace my 1.5 y/o tire that we discovered was out of round, causing the "bounce" at over 75mph. Hopefully that will mean I can ride faster!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    Good luck with that! I managed to get my tire supplier to agree to replace my 1.5 y/o tire that we discovered was out of round, causing the "bounce" at over 75mph. Hopefully that will mean I can ride faster!
                    Yeah, I saw that. Your post is what finally kicked me in the butt to send them a note and see what they would say yes to. Mine aren't too old, so hopefully they'll be on it, but they also aren't a shop I ride up to and look in their eyes...those guys tend to be a little more on the ball about customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                      Once that's done, I was thinking I might take a weekend ride to Tulsa or Ada and see if I could stuff someone there with food in exchange for looking over my shoulder while I do some valve checking and anything else to do while I've got the lid off.
                      Hey, your welcome here. Just let me know and bring a valve cover gasket.

I've got a small assortment of shims and the tool to change them.

NOW.......back to your regularly scheduled thread.....................................

Comment

Hey Richard,

The pulsing happens on both of mine, especially at low idle. Even if there is no positive pressure on the boots, there is a definitive pulse to the vacuum as each cylinder takes a gulp of air. Keep in mind that there is no intake plenum to act as a reservoir that smooths out the pulses between cylinders as in the norm of a V8 engine.

Speaking of V8s, we still have some work to do on yours right?
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                        X