Bike Ran Great..BUT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Ran Great..BUT...

I was out yesterday with a friend for MY first actual ride this season. My XJ ran absolutely flawless. The one small problem is when along the way we stopped a few times to rest and check out the scenery, My bike would start right up but idle a little lower than normal. If I rev it after it starts, it would just die when the idle came back down. If I took off right after starting, and pulled in the clutch in to hit 2nd gear the bike would stall. After a minute or so everything would be fine. The bike was still pretty warm each time we started out again. I'm curious if anyone had this problem and how they corrected it.TIA
    Rob
    82 XJ1100
    Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
    Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Have you checked your gas cap vent?Or maybe you have kinked lines.
    It sounds like starvation. Pilot circuit could be plugged too.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I can run 80mph all day long. Never a hiccup. I haven't checked the lines but I will. They are pretty short with no big bends.Yes it's sounds like a starvation problem but I would think there would still be enough fuel in the bowls to start and run "Normally". I have no problem reving and holding at 3k+ after it starts

It stalls when I rev and let off, after it sits for 15 minutes or so. When I say "rev", it's just a small quick rev about 1500-2000 rpms. If I let it run for a minute or so after re-starting, the idle comes up where it should be and it's fine. But it takes a minute or two before it idles right and doesn't stall.
      Rob
      82 XJ1100

Comment

I have had a similar problem, and heard of several others having it too. Ride for a whole tank, fill up, and try to start again. The bike doesn't want to start, or dies quickly after starting. Have you tried pulling the choke for a bit? I have heard of some folks adjusting float levels to help the issue, but I've never really had to go that far.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I actually did pull the choke one time. It did seem to help a little. I may end up having to do it all the time. I just thought since the motor was already warm, I wouldn't need to use the choke. Figuring out where to set the choke after it is warm will take a little trial and error. It's cable operated unlike the the XS with a lever and detent ball to set the choke in a certain position.
          Rob
          82 XJ1100

Comment

possibly overheating? mine just went through that before i put on carbs from Brandon.mine were dumping fuel and sucking air. PO decided to bend the butterflies on the outboard carbs so it would stay running.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

My 2 cents

I'm new to these bike and having a simular problem.
              I pulled the plugs and my bike is running lean.
              Have you done a plug read?

Rick
              XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
              650SF
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
              XS1100SG Project bike
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Hi Rob, Both my XJ750 and my '80G have this symptom. I may be wrong but I believe that the engine cools just enough that it wants a small amount of fuel from the enrichener circut but full or even half "choke" will almost flood the engine with fuel whilst the engine is still warm. As I have just went through the carbs on the XJ750 I found the pilot jets clogged. The bike now starts like it should and warm starts are definately better. I don't have the '80G back together yet so I can only hope I get the same results from it. You may want to turn Your Idle up a hair. As someone else stated the fuel level may need raised in the float bowls but I wouldn't go more than 1mm at a time. HTH
                Originally posted by XJ Rob View Post
                I was out yesterday with a friend for MY first actual ride this season. My XJ ran absolutely flawless. The one small problem is when along the way we stopped a few times to rest and check out the scenery, My bike would start right up but idle a little lower than normal. If I rev it after it starts, it would just die when the idle came back down. If I took off right after starting, and pulled in the clutch in to hit 2nd gear the bike would stall. After a minute or so everything would be fine. The bike was still pretty warm each time we started out again. I'm curious if anyone had this problem and how they corrected it.TIA
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

What's your Idle set at Rob?

If your idling at less than 1100 or 1200 at normal temp it makes a lot of difference at startup.

Makes quite a difference on mine.

Comment

Can of Sea Foam in the gas may be all you need. Idle passages a little gummed up from winter. Pretty effective.
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Rob, Do like Tarzan said and clean the vent in your gas cap. You will need to disassemble the cap and be careful to not loose the little ball, and I think there's a spring or two in there also. It's a very small vent and it doesn't take much to cause what you are describing. Mine did the same thing last spring, cleaned the vent and no problems since.

Also, don't over fill it at the pump, as that will cause problems.

Applying a little choke sometimes when the engine's at just the right temp, may still be necessary.

Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Just wanted to give an update. I checked all the fuel lines and there are NO kinks. I also pulled the cap today and found that it was pretty crusted up. Once I found the tiny hole on the outside rim underneath , I understood how the vent actually works and I used some carb cleaner with the tiny straw and blew it out. I believe now that it WAS plugged. Lubed everything with a little liquid graphite put it back together. I also bumped the idle up just a bit to idle right around 1100. I pulled the plugs to do a color read and after a little over 200 miles they are just starting to turn a little tan. So I think the carb settings are good. I'm way too tired to take it for a ride so the final outcome will have to wait until I don't have to pick up the slack for the other "Slackers" on the job. I will report back and let everyone know what the final outcome is. Thanks for all the help.
                        Rob
                        82 XJ1100

Comment

I agree with Poprock. Every now and then, I'll pull up to a light, and the bike will idle, but the idle will slowly drop and drop until it finally dies if I don't give it a little gas. If I try to just blip the throttle and let go, it will die. Some Seafoam fixes this. You could also need a good carb synch.

Hopefully the vent was the problem, but if not, you may try that. After all... it can't hurt.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own