surety bond for a title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surety bond for a title?

get this, the dmv wants a surety bond of $1050 for 5yrs for them to issue a title for my bike. they value it at $700, in it's rusted, non running state. anybody wanna buy a parts bike? dang, i'm so mad right now i could spit nails. well, it looks like i'll be selling the parts off the bike instead of fixing it up. i haven't seen an add for an xs11 in my area that i could swap parts for, so i guess i'll just move on to a different project bike. it's a dang shame, as i think the bike had a lot of potential....
    1981 xs1100 midnight special
    1983 750 midnight maxim
    resurrected:
    1977 goldwing
    1980 cb750
    North central Wisconsin

title

If you would post where you are, maybe someone will offer suggestions, or offer to buy parts.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

broadway titles.com titles unlimited.com
      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

bonded title

Here in AZ I had to get a bonded title for my 81 special for the same value. It cost me $50 dollars for the $1050 bond. Hopefully that's all you'll need to pay as well.

Here you can get them from your insurance agent.

I'ts a PIB but at least I have a clear title for the bike.
        1981 XS1100SH Special

Comment

bond

Like they said, the ten fifty dollars is paid back to you if there is no claim made against the title, right? See an insurance agent about helping with the bond.
          80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

Originally posted by tadtl1 View Post
            Like they said, the ten fifty dollars is paid back to you if there is no claim made against the title, right? See an insurance agent about helping with the bond.
            No, it's probably gone money.
            But, you don't have to pony up the entire amount. It's like throwing bail, a percentage. I had forgotten I had to do the same thing on my 650 a long time ago. Got the bond from an insurance place. I think I had to pay 25 or 50, I don't recall the amount. But I do remember it didn't come back because it's a racket the DMV and insurance people have.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

well, i'll check around on monday and see what i can come up with. in addition to all the mechanical/cosmetic issues, i'm not sure the bike is worth the effort.
              1983 750 midnight maxim
              resurrected:
              1977 goldwing
              1980 cb750
              North central Wisconsin

Comment

i've been looking online, but most of these companies won't insure for this small amount. anyone know of any company that will do this?
                1983 750 midnight maxim
                resurrected:
                1977 goldwing
                1980 cb750
                North central Wisconsin

Comment

clarification

Hi,
                  I do believe that if you pay the ten fifty direct to the dmv, that if there is no claim eventually, the bux come back to you, isnt that what bond means? Of course if you go with ins company, and pay the piddling fifty bux or whatever, the ins company wont do a refund. If you want to sell this bike, lemme know via pm.
                  Bikes Now.
                  80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                  79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                  83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                  83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                  08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Ho;y crap...thats a lot of $$ to have tied up when you could buy another xs for about that, and I thought IN was a hassle, but all I needed was a bill of sale and a police check on the vin and as long as the bike was from IN the 15 bucks and 2-3 weeks a title for my 82 yam Vision.
                    '79 XS 1100F

Comment

I live in Austin Texas and I have a bonded title on a 1987 Shadow VT1100 I own. DMV said the bike is worth $1700, so that's what I had to bond. I bought bonding insurance from the Farmer's Insurance agent that sells me insurance on my house. Most, if not all, insurance companies will sell it to you. Cost me $100. That money is gone and if someone came up and could prove they own my bike (like if it was stolen or something) then that's the amount I would have to pay them. I would keep the bike regardless. It is kind of like paying 10 percent to a bail bond company to get somebody out of County. It is just the insurance company insuring the value of the bike.

It is really not a big deal. It cost me $100 extra to title and register the bike.

Patrick
                      Last edited by Incubus; 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM.
                      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                      1969 Yamaha DT1B
                      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

The bond stays on the Title for what, 3 years or so?

The bonded title is still negotiable just like a regular title.
                        Richard

Comment

My title is bonded for three years. After that it is my bike and I don't have to pay anything to anyone even if someone turns up with proof the bike was stolen from him/her. In the meantime, the bike is mine and I can sell it with a good title. The three years is up in January.

Like I said, it's really not a big deal unless you have concerns about the legitimacy of the sale. At the worst you will have to pay the DMV's (inflated) price if a "true" owner shows up. I do not have those concerns. My bike came with a title, it was just an out-of-state title and the seller was not the person named on the title.

Patrick
                          Last edited by Incubus; 05-01-2010, 09:32 PM.
                          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                          1969 Yamaha DT1B
                          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

my understanding is that if i decide to sell it. i can't until the 5yrs is up. i'm not even sure i could junk it until the time is up. i'll find out more on monday, as i didn't get the letter until late on friday.
                            1983 750 midnight maxim
                            resurrected:
                            1977 goldwing
                            1980 cb750
                            North central Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
                              Hi,
                              I do believe that if you pay the ten fifty direct to the dmv, that if there is no claim eventually, the bux come back to you, isnt that what bond means? Of course if you go with ins company, and pay the piddling fifty bux or whatever, the ins company wont do a refund. If you want to sell this bike, lemme know via pm.
                              Yup, just like a bail bond. If you put up the bond yourself, and don't disappear, you get the money back, if you pay a bail bond co the I think it's 10%, then you don't get your 10% back as the 10% is their fee for them fronting the bond money (which BTW they don't actually pass over to the court, they just have some paperwork filed and as long as you don't jump bail they never have to pay it). You can also do something with real estate and such to make bond as well, but it's a lot of pain. But if you post the bond personally, you get it back at the end of the time, if you pay a bond company, then your cool unless the bond gets called (if there is a problem/claim) in which case you might be on the hook for the money.

Most states if you can show that the value in the condition you have the vehicle in is low enough, you can even get them to waive the bond.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X