80g fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80g fork seals

Found out last night that the fork seals I bought on e-bay were the wrong seals. Thought I would share what I have found out. The seals on my 80g are KYB 13371 seals. These can easly be found by searching for the seal dimensions 37x49x8/9.5 that is 37mm ID x 49mmOD x 8mm cup / 9.5mm with lip height. The ones for sale on E-bay that say 78 to 81 xs1100 were 37x48x10/12.5 as these may fit some models, but will not fit the 80g. New seals from Starcycle.com were $7.23 each.
    1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

"It ain't braggin if you can do it" Muhammad Ali

Originally posted by hightec_redneck View Post
    37x48x10/12.5 as these may fit some models
    Those will fit the Specials 79-81
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Since it's a Standard, the OEM seals are available from your local dealer. At $40, may be a bit high, but won't have to do them again......for a L-O-N-G time. JAT, and well worth the extra bucks IMO.(my Venturer at 29yrs. is on its second set.)
      Last edited by motoman; 05-01-2010, 07:47 PM. Reason: Add info
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered the new ones for $15 from Star Cycle.
        1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

Comment

Fork seals too tight

I am frustrated at how hard these new seals are to install in my 80XS fork tubes. While I am used to new seals needing a tap or two to seat them (oiled and greased), I have to really wail on these to drive them in. The tube surface is fine, they are said to be the 48mm OD size on the package, but even when using the best driving surface I could find (a very large socket) and walking it around the circumference to keep it driving in square and flat, it was hard not to deform the top of the seal (roll it inward).

Does anyone else have trouble inserting what are said to be OEM size seals in the 80 XS1100SG fork tubes? One done and another to do tonight.
          Past Rides:
          1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
          1979 XS650 Special
          1978 Honda CB750K
          Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Yep, they go in kinda hard. The dimensions should be embossed on the seal itself if you want to double check the size.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Got them in!

While I don't have a metric vernier, I measured the ODs of the 48mm seals and they measured 1.84". The ID of the fork tube measured 2.04" at the initial lip, but then got down to 1.80 where the seal sits. So I rigged up the PVC pipe section as a suggested in one of the posts. That size was like it was made for this reason. The OD was great and the OD did no disturb the top wiper lip of the seal. Greased the seal and the tube and with a few whaps, the seal slid home. No distortion! Great suggestion!! No leaks!
              Past Rides:
              1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
              1979 XS650 Special
              1978 Honda CB750K
              Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Just a quick update. I recieved the new seals from Starcycle today. It seems there info is not quite accurate. The seals were packaged in pairs not single like web sight said. So the price is about $7.50 for a pair.

Comment

Hope those seals work out for you. Since it's a Standard by your signature stock OEM seals ARE still available and the BEST option, unless you need the practice doing them again......just sayin...
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                  X