triple tree??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triple tree??

Anyone know of a triple tree assembly or top clamp that I could use on stock fork set-up that would allow me to use risers like that one a H-D? Machining one is not an option due to cost.

Thanks,
    Rob

If you have a standard, the short answer is no. Now, the manuals/parts fiche show the Specials as having removable risers, but all the special guys have told me they don't either. And even if they do, if you have a standard you have to swap the complete front end; you can't just swap the trees as the geometry is different between the two models and the wrong mix will create a dangerous-handling bike.

The other issue you'll have is finding a 7/8" diameter riser. I found some, but the cost!! Figure at least $100. Harley has used 1" bars for years, and most of the late metric 'cruisers' do too, so these can be found easily and for cheap if you shop. But now you're looking to swap out your bars, controls, etc or doing some major 'adapting'...

Not what you wanted to hear.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah I'm not really looking to doing mods that are going to be costly. I planned on apes anyway so the stock set-up is good to go.

Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rgoot01 View Post
        Anyone know of a triple tree assembly or top clamp that I could use on stock fork set-up that would allow me to use risers like that one a H-D? Machining one is not an option due to cost.

Thanks,
        Rob
        Hi Rob,
        dog-bone risers will work but are hard to find cheap. (~$100 new; try a few swapmeets?)
        The XS850 top tree will accept H-D style risers but you will have to get the fork tube eyes machined out to 37mm and there's the cost factor again.
        If you must go for the Italian Army (AKA Ukrainian Death-Blow) riding position, apes is the least costly option.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X