Springer front end on '80 xs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer front end on '80 xs???

I've got an '80 XS1100 special and im wanting to install a springer front end. I know the main pin is perm attached to the lower tree, and im wondering if there is somewhere to buy the pin without the lower tree, or do i need to goto a machine shop and have one made.

Here's a couple pics of the bike
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...tat2/001-6.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...tat2/003-5.jpg
    1980 XS1100 SG

81 Support Your Local Illinois Nomads 81

I have no comment on the springer thing, but PLEASE PUT THE FRONT BRAKES BACK ON!! That's over 80% of your stopping power, and even with that, these bikes are under-braked.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Take a look into the FJ Fork Mod post, one of the members pressed out the XS steering stem from the lower tree and wrote about it there. I think it took some grinding IIRC b/c they were welded in. No machining required, maybe a digrinder.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by dentat2 View Post
        I've got an '80 XS1100 special and im wanting to install a springer front end. I know the main pin is perm attached to the lower tree, and im wondering if there is somewhere to buy the pin without the lower tree, or do i need to goto a machine shop and have one made.
        Hi Denny,
        I see you have hard-strutted the rear end but no matter, with no front brakes you won't live long enough to damage your spine.
        However, if you grind away the weld that holds the "pin" into the lower 'tree you can press the pin out for re-use in the springer.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanx for the advice, ill check it out. And by the way in Aug. of 2009 when i joined this forum we had the whole "Put on the front brakes or you'll die!!!!", and the "Put the shocks back on or you'll break your back" discussions. I do appreciate the concern though.
          1980 XS1100 SG

81 Support Your Local Illinois Nomads 81

Comment

Doesn't matter how many people show the benefits of riding a horse, someone always wants to walk...
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

glad to see someone else peeing blood riding a rigid like im gonna be doing

but those front brakes do need to go on man

at least one of them

youre insane, but hey, if you like living on the edge then more power to ya!

bike looks good though
              1980 XS1100SG - almost done

Comment

Just remember that there are ONLY two types of riders! The latter is just going to come a bit quicker for you. Seriously, the odds ARE against you as it is......get a front brake on that scoot!
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X