Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixin' to throw some cash at the xj1100

Hey all
    Picked up an 82 XJ1100 about 5 years ago for $700.00 had 700 miles on it.
    bike had sat outside neglected for about 10+ years, blackberry vines growing thru it...
    It still has original pipes in ok shape
    I put about 40 hours of work into restoring it, go it running, nice looking bike
    has about 32k on it now..
    It never did idle well - and always needs the choke on to idle, one of the float pins has rubbed away a little, carbs leaking into the airbox.

now the the second gear issue is starting up...
    Dremel or Washer fix?

I was considering going up to a vmax, because I would like a little more power, but I dont have that much cash..
    so I was thinking about upgrading the maxim.

here's what I have gleaned from this forum so far:

ENGINE:
    do the shims.
    clean the carbs.
    stage 3 carb kit?
    drill the stock airbox and add a K&N, OR get pods?
    raise the float?
    keep the original pipes OR get a 4 in 1?
    some sort of electronic advance for the XJ?

Other:
    Steel break lines
    Fork Brace
    solid engine mounts
    maybe the 750 diff mod

I'd like to get close to 100+ HP or so at the back wheel

more extensive:
    polish the exhaust ports?
    79' cam?
    big bore kit?
    Last edited by R.S.; 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM.

trbig is the guy you need

I'll see if I can get his sorry butt over here for you.

Comment

100 hp???

Not a chance without running some massive mods and maybe nitro. Not very many bikes (except some zip-splats) have 100 RWHP! You would also have to go to chain drive. I can burn my rear tire or pick it up in three gears on the way to nearly 140 MPH, so why do you need more HP?
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

The XJ has electronic advance all the way. It doesn't use the vacuum pod or advance weights like the XS. There is a "Boost sensor" which senses engine vacuum and reports it to the TCI.

If you are looking for big gains, search some posts from Dan Hodges. He is quite the guru for speed.

Also, Megacycle can regrind your cams with several profiles that might do more than a big bore kit for a few less dollars.

I have heard that a good port match and rework of the head intake and exhaust ports helps too.

If you are looking for neck snapping accelleration, I would stick with the stock final drive.

That's a few ideas. I also concur with Jmnjrpa. in stock condition and tuned well, these bikes have more power than they can effectively use. It isn't unheard of to get a nice front wheel lift when you grab third gear right, even with my 300 pound bad attitude in the saddle.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Did a little more reading on the site

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ce+mods&page=4

Looks like I should just get it running perfect - maybe do a stage one kit
          and save up for a vmax

Comment

Originally posted by R.S. View Post
            Did a little more reading on the site

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ce+mods&page=4

Looks like I should just get it running perfect - maybe do a stage one kit
            and save up for a vmax
            My Friend,
            The main reason we here ride these 30 year old bikes is because they're the most bang for the buck out there to begin with. In their day, the 11 WAS the bad boy on the strip.

There are many small mods that can be done to the XJ to get the performance up. 100 hp is achievable. I have a friend who accomplished it. He also invested $12,000 doing every mod one could think of, documenting what he'd done, and Dyno'd before & after to prove what worked, and what didn't.
            When all the dust settled, he realized the laws of diminishing return were definitely taking place when it comes to an 11. You can throw $$ at it, and get there to a point... but once you get to that certain threshold, it just ain't worth spending anymore. His dreams of achieving 150 hp stopped a bit shy... at around 110 hp.

Most of us here are still well pleased with the grunt a well running 11 provides, the dependability one in top shape delivers, and the heads they turn as we pass by. Nothing makes an 11 owner feel prouder than hearin' somebody stop & say...."Hey! That's a Maxim, or that's an old 11! I used to have one of those a long time ago...those are cool! I sure wish I'd never gotten rid of mine..." and see them smile w/ a big thumbs up as you go on down the road.

Most of us are poor, broke fellas, and a $1000 to $2000 bike's the most we can afford. That's mostly why we've learned to fix 'em ourselves...

But the pride it brings from ownership, from something you've saved from the scrap heap and made to live again... nothing like it.

I rode mine 1200 miles this past weekend. 800 miles the weekend before... all w/ not so much as a hiccup. Loved every minute of it. Averaged 35 mpg at 80 mph + on the turnpikes.

True... they're no longer 'the bad boy on the block' they once were compared to todays bikes... that's just truth. But, I think the advantages speak for themselves. This past weekend, my 28 year old XJ followed right behind 2 of BMW's finest, and mine did everything their's did. And mine's paid for. If it should have problems, I can get to anything... and be able to work on most anything on the side of the road. Try to do that w/ the newer "plastic cladded' bikes... no... call a wrecker and take it to the dealer.

If you want faster, it's out there... but one thing I've also learned about owning an 11... this site's the best support team & warranty you could ever hope for. Plus, an added bargain... the friends I've made that I would have never known otherwise. That's priceless.

My 2 cents...FWIW.
            Best of luck in your future endeavors, whatever you may decide. Hope you don't give up on the Maxim. I love mine! Get yours running right, and you will too.
            Regards,
            Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
              this site's the best support team & warranty you could ever hope for.

amen to that, I wish everything i owned came with a site like this.
              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
              Green Dyna Coils
              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
              kevXS

Comment

amen

i'll second that amen and also say,me last bike was an xj, and divorce and life crisis forced a sale. Moved to florida and the first op i got to get one guess what....a member of this site (sorry age creeping in ) put me in touch with one 5 miles from my house. and he lived many states away.So right this second i am typing this from the garage and looking at my newly aquired xj in all it's torn seat,rusty frame gas leaking down the motor glory...I will die with this scotter between my legs! can't ask for anything else....well a pair of side covers would be lovly. Be good be safe and plz.....ride safely
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Chevy...
                  I sincerely hope that should that fatal day occur, it will be a long, long, long time from now!!!

Congrats on the newly acquired project. Cool... another XJ saved from the scrapper! Way ta go.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Turbo or nos ...
                    nos be easier and can be a real surprise to even a crotch rocket

mro
                    BTW
                    a blown XS1100 engine turned 7.5 in the quarter at one time

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback - I guess I need to feel what its like to have one of these things running %100, anyone in Seattle have one I can around the block?

Looks like a full carb clean/tune and perhaps a stage 1 is worth it, because the maxim always runs better when the choke is in that perfect 3/4 enrichment notch.

Also - I'm considering welding a gusset to the frame, there is paint coming off - joint stress showing in the V above the left side swing arm.

Now.. I have searched this site for the answer, and I know its been asked a thousand times so I apologize - but the answers are in bits and pieces all over the place here - what is the best cost to performance mods for this thing?

looks like cheapest is: stock airbox with K&N, stock pipes, a stage one kit and some new electronic advance?

Kerkers aint available anymore...
                      Mac headers apparently aren't worth it...
                      could wrap the pipes with tape, but that's ugly...

costs goes up from there....
                      If one had from $ 500.00 to $1000.00 to invest .. then what?

This topic should be a sticky post or in the FAQ. so newbs dont keep asking.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by R.S. View Post
                        Thanks for the great feedback - I guess I need to feel what its like to have one of these things running %100, anyone in Seattle have one I can around the block?

Looks like a full carb clean/tune and perhaps a stage 1 is worth it, because the maxim always runs better when the choke is in that perfect 3/4 enrichment notch.

Also - I'm considering welding a gusset to the frame, there is paint coming off - joint stress showing in the V above the left side swing arm.

Now.. I have searched this site for the answer, and I know its been asked a thousand times so I apologize - but the answers are in bits and pieces all over the place here - what is the best cost to performance mods for this thing?

looks like cheapest is: stock airbox with K&N, stock pipes, a stage one kit and some new electronic advance?

Kerkers aint available anymore...
                        Mac headers apparently aren't worth it...
                        could wrap the pipes with tape, but that's ugly...

costs goes up from there....
                        If one had from $ 500.00 to $1000.00 to invest .. then what?

This topic should be a sticky post or in the FAQ. so newbs dont keep asking.

Thanks again!
                        Cheapest mod, right off the bat? Drop weight. Sacrifice the center stand, no fairing or a small one, fender mods.... bob it.... just shave weight. Every 6#'s is = to 1 hp.
                        Swap cams.... '78's were the hottest.

If I had $1000 to invest? Probably go Wiseco bigbore 1196 kit. But that's just me.

Best performance gain I saw in my XJ investment so far? Dynojet kit. But others haven't been so lucky... but mine sure pepped up! It was worth the $125 to me to gain 3-5 mpg, quicker starting, and way better throttle response.

You can go pods, or drill the stock air box and see little gains, swap exhaust...

If you want better top end, do the final drive swap...

All depends on what you're going for.

Me personally? Now that mine's running sweet... I don't need anymore power than what I have. I can get in plenty of trouble fast enough w/ what I have!

But the cheapest way to make gains is to drop weight.

Case in point: Montruex_Blue's bobber... he claims that's all he's done to his except pods... drop weight. I can't keep up w/ him on top end. He blows my sidecovers off! That is one quick bobber right there! You might PM him and ask him what all he shaved... JAT

The next 2 mods I'm planning for mine is the 850 FD swap, and a 3 gallon rear mounted reserve fuel tank, electric pump and switch w/ guage for extra touring range. That should give me slightly over 8 gallons fuel capacity, and around 280 mile range.... if my butt can stay in the saddle that long!
                        Bob
                        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Thanks so much!
                          what jet kit did you use? stage 1 or ...?
                          re: "Every 6#'s is = to 1 hp."

thats simple: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the...-loss-handbook

Comment

Working...
                          X