Stupidity - then luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidity - then luck

Did something stupid - then luck saved the day (maybe my life)

I bought a donor 79 xs11 to harvest for parts for my 78. Took the front fender off of the 79 because it was nearly perfect and put it on the 78. Had not ridden the bike since putting on the new fender. I was working in my garage last night and had to move the 78 - with the new fender - and as I was moving it I heard a squeeling noise coming from the front. I only moved the bike about 6 feet and did not pay much attention to it. Only when I got off the bike and took a look did I see the damage. The bracket that sits behind the fender that holds the brake line had bent and had cut a groove into the tire - all the way around. With only one turn of the wheel it had already cut about a 1/16 of an inch or more groove right into the sidewall.

Now it got me thinking that suppose I would have not moved the bike and just taken off the next morning for work. I hit a divided four lane in about 5 minutes where I am running about 65 mph. It would have been a matter of time before that bracket would have punctured the sidewall. I shudder to think about a front wheel blowout at 65.

So, stupidity for not looking at the bracket and luck for moving the bike. My consolation is that I wanted to replace the tires anyway so now I am just a little more motivated. Lesson - check your work.

If it makes you feel any better, if it cut that groove in that time, it most likely would never have made it to the divided four lane. Yep, it always pays to check stuff like that.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

You are probably right. That would have left me with a blowout as I am winding my way through twisty two lane blacktop with very large trees on either side of the road. I think the Lord is telling me he wants me to stick around just a little while longer. At least until I finish my XS11 project.

Comment

good reason to always do a pre-ride check. Everymorning before I leave for work I...
        check the oil level..
        Squeeze both front and rear brakes to ensure the grab and release..
        Give a quick look at front and rear tire..
        Quick look to make sure tail/brake and signals are working...
        Twist the throttle all the way and make sure it returns...

This is all after I roll the bike out of the garage into the driveway, any new or strange noise if cause for a closer inspection until I locate the noise.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
        X