Extra clutch steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra clutch steel?

I'm fixin' to tear into my clutch and replace the springs with some heavy duty ones.

I know some of you have put in an extra steel plate.

I was just wonderin', you think it's a good idea or no?

I used the new springs without the extra steel and mine has been fine since.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Haven't replaced any clutch components as of yet. If and when I do would not use an extra steel in the stack. Not a good option for obvious reasons since having alot of clutch experience with moto-cross and other type scoots. New aftermarket springs will normally solve any slippage that may be going on. JMO.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Haven't replaced any clutch components as of yet. If and when I do would not use an extra steel in the stack. Not a good option for obvious reasons since having alot of clutch experience with moto-cross and other type scoots. New aftermarket springs will normally solve any slippage that may be going on. JMO.
        I did the extra steel, worked for a while but I'm getting slip again now if I'm on it hard in 1st or 2nd gear, like a free way on-ramp. I'd look at the extra steel as a temporary fix until you can afford something else.

motoman, care to expand on the (not so obvious) reasons for those of us with less clutch experience? Not trying to start a fight, just want to hear your idea's, I admit I have no experience with wet clutches and simply did the popular/cheap fix that got me on the road.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

extra extra

i did install extra steel on my lasty xj. as a last resort. I had put in new clutches heavy duty springs yada yada yada.still had slipage issues. Put in extra steel NO more probs. Go figure
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I have an extra one if you want. I could ride down to Tulsa weekend after this one and deliver it, but it'll cost you some beer. Not that 3.2 stuff you're always nursing either. I'll want the good stuff like Keystone or Schlitz.

It took new heavy duty springs and the steel to get Red to stop slipping. Course it ain't slipped since that bearing went, so maybe you just need to thro a rod.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the original springs, but over the alot of years of getting hot and cooling they loose there tension. IMO, adding an extra steel true enough increases that tension pressure just short of binding when compressed but is a "bandade". Works, for how long varies with riding styles. Again, heat is your enemy. Oil choice is a factor too, syn. opposed to conventional. The disc. material is NOT such that they work(don't slip), or grab under pressure using syn. oil or oil with modifiers period. Lot of heat from friction in that area when loaded heavily too! Not a whole lot of trave/movement happens there either so correct adjustment down at clutch on these type of clutch arrangements is critical for correct operation too. IMO condition of disc/plates whether there is glazing on disc or bluing of steel plates plays a bigger factor than a measured thickness whether disc are worn or not. A slightly warped single steel plate overlooked will cause clutch issues untill figured out. A badly notched clutch basket from the disc pressure and hitting it will also cause erratic clutch function(works good one time and the next time not so good). On moto bkes have even filed those notches away on the basket to help smooth the movement of the disc, even though a temp. fix again, but works for a period of time in a pinch cost wise for a new clutch basket. That's just a few of the more common issues associated with poor clutch operation.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have the extra plate and HD EBC springs. Has been working fine for over a year.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Thanks for the input y'all. Keep it coming.

I'm really not having a bad slippage problem but I can feel it sometimes in the higher gears, especially if I use the clutch to upshift. I generally just "float" the upshifts and use the clutch to downshift, it seems easier on me and the bike.

But if I have to clutch for some reason in the upper gears and then give it some juice and let the clutch out it slips then catches.

I want that to go away. I want it solid all the time

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  I have an extra one if you want. I could ride down to Tulsa weekend after this one and deliver it, but it'll cost you some beer. Not that 3.2 stuff you're always nursing either. I'll want the good stuff like Keystone or Schlitz.

It took new heavy duty springs and the steel to get Red to stop slipping. Course it ain't slipped since that bearing went, so maybe you just need to thro a rod.
                  I've got a whole other clutch I got off ebay for less than it cost to ship but I'm always up for beer drinkin' if you want to take a little ride anyway. Think you can get here without crashing into something?

Let me know and I'll get my son the chef to cook up some BBQ and stuff.

If you want that crappy beer I'm sure some place down there on skid row sells it. As for the 3.2 you'll have to speak to the governor about that.

Comment

Now that's effin funny. Schlitz.. Are they still allowed to brew that in the USA or do they have to do that in some 3rd world country...
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

There is another option that only a few people have done and that is to use the extra steel plate with Alto friction plates. Using this method requires an additional friction plate to accomidate the aditional steel so you dont have steel on steel. The end result is more surface area because the additional plates, and a disk "stack" that is slightly thicker or the same (IIRC) as compared to stock. Do a search for Alto and you should find it. Apparently, one member is a distributor and he is the only way that I know of to buy Alto. I purchased PNM frictions and used my stock springs and still retain a slight slip upwards of 7K rpm. Next time Im in there its getting HD springs and I hope its gone but, if I ever try to build a high performace engine then I want to go with the Alto clutch set up...

Check this out.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

hey, I'm going to be doing the alto frictions here very soon. I just got the parts from ups on monday, new steels and alto frictions. I've also got new springs. Probably in the next week or two I'll be putting up a thread with pictures, part numbers, thicknesses etc. Just waiting to get the other bike titled and licensed so I can take my 79 apart without missing riding time.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -
                        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                        My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Well, maybe some time soon I can make a tulsa run. Maybe even get ahold of Cody, Tod and Bob and make a run over to Stillwater to the Eskimo Joe's place. Or Just terrorize North Central OK for a Sunday afternoon. Not sure when that might be, things keep getting busy. I could find a lot more time if you wanted to trade me out for say, painting my tank and fairing to match the sidecovers. hehe.
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Well, maybe some time soon I can make a tulsa run. Maybe even get ahold of Cody, Tod and Bob and make a run over to Stillwater to the Eskimo Joe's place. Or Just terrorize North Central OK for a Sunday afternoon. Not sure when that might be, things keep getting busy. I could find a lot more time if you wanted to trade me out for say, painting my tank and fairing to match the sidecovers. hehe.

Let me know if and when you want to git-er-done.

As for the painting,
                            I'll lay in a stock of pink Krylon, or would you prefer Dupli-Color.

Comment

I have used an extra steel in one that had a slippage problem and it worked fine but the lever required lots more pressure to operate.

Another option is to place a washer under the springs to shim them up, similar to what you may do for a valve spring on a cylinder head.

The exact right size washer can be found in the McMaster-Carr catalog ..wish I'd have noted the number ..
                              80G Mini-bagger
                              VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                              79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                              79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                              79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Working...
                              X