Can you guys evaluate my situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that is the eleven for 1300

The other eleven was on cl, thumb area methinks, if not, try detroit since a lot of thumbies advertise in detroit area cl.

It takes time to find the bargains, you cant be in a hurry, best to start in the fall, say october and buy by new years. Thats where the screaming deals are found.

Have your bud call me if he wants cash for that eleven, 989 488 4487.
    Last edited by tadtl1; 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM.
    80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

see thread info below for price

XS-XJ Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to motoman
      Looks to be a VetterV(5).
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
      Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
      motoman
      View Public Profile
      Send a private message to motoman
      Find all posts by motoman
      Add motoman to Your Contacts
      #5 Report Post
      Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
      XStremely XSive

The bike looks to be a 81sh special.
      Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
      xs11lover
      View Public Profile
      Send a private message to xs11lover
      Find all posts by xs11lover
      Add xs11lover to Your Contacts
      #6 Report Post
      Unread 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
      Truly XSive

Went for $375 at the auction.
      80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

Welcome to the site Shooter!! And the sickness of XS11.

Originally posted by schooter View Post
        the rear brakes work, but the front was seized, and I dont know if xs11's had dual rotors, but i know this only has one.
        Yep as stated, should have dual front disc. Good thing is, they are very simple calipers to work on and usually only need a good cleaning and not new parts. However, you should get the duel fronts put back on, these bikes are overpowered and under braked from the factory.

but the thread is stripped in 2 or 3 holes i nthe head, i dont know how hard or expensive that would be to get fixed...
        Quickest cheapest way is to put a helicoil in it. You can buy them as a kit with four or so in them.

do you think this bike is worth around 800-900? i like 1100's, lots of power and love the rear disc brakes.. I paid 1500 for my maxim700, but that was waay too much, and i think it's worth around 900 or so as it is.

just some more things that probably need attention
        -tires
        -the starter button is rigged funny from what i remember
        -gold airbox cover is bad on one side
        -somewhere from 18-22K miles

i'm just glad the gearbox is solid and i know it will run.

also, if i do get it- any things that should be checked on these bikes that are different than the xj's? I know the valves have probably never been touched and the fuse box likes to break after touching the posts, check rear brakes for delamination...

ideally I want something rather large and fun my dad can drive, he doesnt dislike bikes, hes gone on rides with me and drove my uncles bike around the UP of michigan with my mom, but he's always been on a rocket, he's 6'6"... I would like to take my 750 to school with me, and not let him have the 1100, but let him and my mom go out on it.. they would enjoy it and if I can get him to appreciate bikes, he wont always be on my case... I snuck out of the house and drove 2 hours to get my seca 750- traded it for the wii I won at prom and my old laptop. kept it at my friends house until the day before i went to college and boy, were my parents surprised...

thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to what you have to say, I also hope to become a regular on this site, have a bit over 2K posts on xjbikes.com - mostly comic relief and frustrating the older guys =D
        Beauty and price is in the eye of the beholder of course. I am not form your neck of the woods, so I do not know how prices run on things up there. I know around here, a bike that old with that much to be done would never sell for over $500, typically less than that. Also, the Midnight Special was made in 1980 and 1981. So it is one of those two years, or it is a 78 in midnight clothing so to speak. Not uncommon for folks to paint one up to look like a midnight to bump the price on it.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I agree with what the other guys said, your trading down in value. I got my 79 special in Grand Rapids when I lived there for 300 bucks, ran great and was in very good shape, but had no 1st or 2nd gear. If you keep your eyes open and wait you can probably find a better deal, but if you want to help out your buddy and you really want the 11 then go for it. Maybe tell him you'll trade, but he's got to buy the brake parts or something, so your looking at mostly labor.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Schooter.
            I am glad you found your way around to this site. Some of the guys on heare are smarter then the engineers who designed these bikes. Yes they are great bikes, but there are a few quirks about them that need to be addressed. $900.00 is a lot for the bike you described. With only one front disc, i would be concerned. Does it have a mount for another disc, and caliper? Mine is an 80 MNS. The parts are out there, but the parts like side covers and such are hard to find, and mostly expensive. If this bike sat for two years, then you really need to go through the brake system, IE calipers, master cylinders, check pads. Change the final and mid drive fluid. Naturally oil and filter change. Check tires for weather checking and tread. Most of this you should allready know from owning the other bikes. If one of the more wiser guys on here mention checking something out, then i would recomend doing it. Don't think you have a solid trans until you have run it a while. The 1100 have trans problems as well.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight
            1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
            A quick death and an easy one.
            A pretty girl and an honest one.
            A cold beer and another one!

Comment

sorry if i keep posting after myself, i tend to do it alot

but i've noticed alot of talk about middle drive oil... is this on the shaft, because on the xj's theres a plug towards the back of the engine, I cannot remember what it's called, I recall it having the word middle in it, but it is a big no no to attempt to remove this, though yamaha engineered the motors well, some parts are lack luster and this bolt is soft metal and likes to strip the head and or shear...

on this note- do xs11's have bolts holing on the intake boots? if so, are these like the xj's where they are very soft and will shear? it's also been noted that successful bolt removal shows a substance on the threads, maing us think they also put a thread locker on there.., if that's the case.. i knwo the boots are cracked, but my friend bought decent replacements.. i may just coat them with silicone to save myself a headache
              If you do get this for sure check and change the middle drive oil, Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug.
              This thread has a good picture of the middle drive fill plug, its the second one. If they run dry they will lock up causing the rear tire to skid - big problems! If the xj's have something similar then I'd say that it would be a bigger no-no to not do whats necessary to remove the plug and check the oil. I've found that as long as you use a properly sized metric allen wrench and remove it after a short ride (so its hot) they come right out.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

alrite, thanks guys- i dunno about him paying for brake parts... i was the one who confronted him so i look desperate...

but i guess i've got some thinking to do... I've got a cb750 bobber project that needs a new engine... so if a dohc pops up in good shape, and it sbetter if it doesnt run... then ill try to trade my bike for that

Comment

Working...
                X