Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really an XS1100 gas tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-Ya...item2c54428e0c

This seller says it's an XS11 gas tank, but it looks nothing like any XS11 tank I've ever seen? I had a Virago that had that type of gas cap, is this seller mistaken? I kinda hope he's not because those knee cutouts would be perfect for my racer replica

nope!

Hey I have a standard tank for sale if you want it
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

For sure not XS. XJ and some XV use that cap. with all that damage What ever it fits I think that price is a bit of a reach
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Bide

your time. You can get a good tank for no more than $50 TOTAL!
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I dont need a new tank the knee cutouts on the tank in the auction looked cool for my project if in fact this really was an XS11 tank

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki View Post
            I dont need a new tank the knee cutouts on the tank in the auction looked cool for my project if in fact this really was an XS11 tank
            That appears to me to be a CRASHED & CRUSHED in XJ tank.

If you want a tank w/ knee indents... try an 11 Standard tank.

I'd avoid this one like the plague.... unless you're a glutton for punishment, that is...
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

On a side note, I've seen XJ tanks on an XS before. Is this an easy thing to do?

Comment

That loks to be a XJ Seca tank I think they are about 2" shorter than the xs11
                Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

From what I have read, the XJ11 tank is not a direct swap to the XS. I think the rear mount is completely different and takes some modifications. But having seen your bike that should not be to much of a problem for you.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    But having seen your bike that should not be to much of a problem for you.
                    My bike looks completely different now got rid of the whole bobber look and turning it into a roadracer/sorta cafe bike. I got some motivation reading the endurance racer project thread. While I'm not going anywhere near as in-depth as he did, taking this bike in that direction is going to be fun.

Comment

I am into full scale cafe bike building now, too. Lets see some pics of the bike!

I am building a Snap On themed cafe racer for my local dealer--using tools and wrenches for parts and everything. (Don't worry, it is a CB750)

Also putting a standard tank on my special, to help the cafe lines a little. I will be doing some pretty trick paint on that tank.

Let's see pics!
                      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'll post some pics when some of my parts come in, I already swapped out my solid shocks for a set of Swift Springs rear suspension, found some factory pegs/pedals to replace the gaudy floorboard/forward controls and heel toe shifter. As the bike sits right now without any handlebars, fenders, tank, or seat. Bought a MAC 4-1 from a member this week (gonna use the header for sure, thinking about making a Yoshi pipe with it) pondering how to install clip ons for this bike (headlight brackets either gonna go or get modified ) and waiting for a paycheck to order my Airtech "Hammer II" endurance seat replica and front fairings. Thinking about grabbing a fiberglass tank from them (something that'll look more natural on the bike when I'm done)

Been spending most of the downtime taking pieces off the bike, sandblasting them and repainting em as I go along. I also lowered the front end significantly to achieve a more sportbike stance, and it looks bitchin that way. I think XS11 bobbers look cool, but honestly I was tired of the look, the sportbike style seems to be the way to go

Comment

Sounds neat! I got a few changes coming along for the XS as well, it has been a bugger getting a Special to resemble any kind of cafe racer. But persistence is key!

I liked your bike before, although not my style, so I am sure this "new" one will be awesome. Racers just look mean.
                          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki View Post
                            I also lowered the front end significantly to achieve a more sportbike stance, and it looks bitchin that way. I think XS11 bobbers look cool, but honestly I was tired of the look, the sportbike style seems to be the way to go
                            That's going to be a nice bike when you get finished with it! How far down did you drop the front end?

Regards,

Scott
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'll take some pics when the bike starts coming back together, but this thing is low (trying to remember, but 4" drop sounds about right). And despite what I'm sure someone's gonna say, it rode great with the right amount of psi and fresh oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X