paint job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint job...

hello xs'rs heres an idea i have decided to go with that i have never seen done before. painting my bike with this!-

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

im going forthe ice look they have a pic of a harley tank painted with it.

anyone seen this stuff before??

ill be doing it in a few weeks. then put up pics. im excited to see how it turnsout...maby worlds first xs11 with mirage????
    -xs1100 special
    -wife
    -daughter

I found the same link to that paint when I was thinking what color
    (other than BLACK ) I might use on my current project.
    Still have yet to 100% decide, so hurry up already and paint yours and post some pics so I can see how it comes out.

mro

Comment

ha well sorry but its gonna be a week or 2 before i get to paint it. gotta get everything taken apart sand blasted preped then painted. painting-tank, fenders, bottom half of forks-the ice mirage color. calipers- red engine enamel bottom half of engine cooling fins- semi gloss black middle of cabs not bottob bowls or top part- semi gloss black frame-grey sparkle metalic..if i ever feel like taking the beast compleaatly apart...probably not =)

but yes..stand by for pics
      Last edited by usmc_scott; 04-24-2010, 09:39 PM.
      -xs1100 special
      -wife
      -daughter

Comment

When I got my Shadow the fenders were painted with that paint. It looks a WHOLE lot better on the can than on the bike.

JMHO.

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

well...the paint quality is only as good as the painter. i remember painting something on my dads bike and it looked crappy he did it and it was 100 times better..so im going to go for it and take my time with it and see what i get ill post pics and a walkaround video when done
          -xs1100 special
          -wife
          -daughter

Comment

I had an XS750 painted with this paint. Base was purple and flames with blue. Under different light conditions it would be purple/blue, purple (couldnt see flames), blue (no flames), or blue/purple. Painter dis a sloppy job but it was interesting nonetheless.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

As far as rattle-can paint Dupli-color IS the best out there with a nice pattern nozzle, short of having your local auto-paint supplier mix up a rattle can of automotive paint. Only thing missing in it is the catylest, so fuel,etc. not good to spill on it. Re-painted my Venturers side covers having paint supplier mix proper color in there "professional" rattle can. Each coat layed on there like glass. Single stage,Car:Toyota
              Code:210
              Year: 00-05
              Color:CARBON BLUE-BLACK-Effect

Fast dry acrylic enamel, and that IS the correct perfect color match for the 81Venturer for any of those interested.Even has the correct ever so slight metal-flake in it! Spent a bit of time matching in natural outside light as scanning a chip didn't come up with a perfect match to the eye in outside natural light.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Motoman for the colour research. I have a tank in desperate need of paint.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey USMC Scott: The guy in my small town that owns a body shop has painted his HOT ROD - 32 coupe or something like that all souped up - with that kind of paint & also quite awhile back his personal pick up truck. It is certainly an eye catcher & constantly changes when you look at it - I have never seen anything else with that paint. I heard it is really expensive (the shop stuff). Good luck & some pics when your done would be awesome. - Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_scott View Post
                    hello xs'rs heres an idea i have decided to go with that i have never seen done before. painting my bike with this!-

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

im going forthe ice look they have a pic of a harley tank painted with it.

anyone seen this stuff before??

ill be doing it in a few weeks. then put up pics. im excited to see how it turnsout...maby worlds first xs11 with mirage????
                    I painted my XS400 with that stuff, it looks Awsome! I'm working on doing my 11 with it now, just finished the saddlebag lids and the trunk sides and lid, they were in pretty bad shape so their not perfect but they look tons better now, I figure they will look better if I can get new lids and do them but for now I'm happy with them. I used the red/blue on my 400 and I'm doing the purple/green on the 11. I get the paint at Kragens/O'Rielleys for less than $20 a kit. One kit did the whole 400 but just did my bags and trunk on the 11, I figure 1 more kit to do the tank and side covers and and another to do the fairing.

Once it's done I'll be taking pictures on a ride (gotta have the right location) for the next calendar, of course the hard part will be getting the pic right to show the color change.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X