Dragging an XS11... and not with a truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragging an XS11... and not with a truck

What is yalls thoughts on taking an XS11 and lowering, extending and high horsepower?? Let me know
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Only thing I'd be interested in is the high HP, dont care for raking it out or lowering it. I scrape exhaust already, dont think Id like both sides too... Im sure somone could come out with a cool looing essentially 'chopped' XS all raked and lowered but its just not for me. BUUUT, if your talkin about making a XSessively fast drag bike then IM ALL FOR IT. I always wondered why the KZ's were picked over the XS to make a drag bike from...
    Last edited by WMarshy; 04-23-2010, 01:26 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

You mea...Like this?

Comment

Wow. I hadn't read the print until now. 7.57 seconds Other than the giant supercharger, I wonder what else they did to the motor. The problem with a drag XS; it's heavy, and other than a mild big bore, there are no aftermarket performance parts manufactured. Which means if you were serious, you need serious cash to have one off parts built or the knowledge and tooling to make them yourself. They drag KZ's because they are lighter, already chain drive, and I can go to the APE website right now and buy a 1400cc kit amongst other things like titanium valves parts.

Last edited by 81xsproject; 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yep I agree with 81project. Why not drag an XS, same reason folks always drag a chevy or ford but not to many Olds engines. Parts availability. I can to the shelf at Summit or Jegs and pull off enough stuff to turn a Chevy 454 into a 10 second car on an old Impala. But try that for a 455, not hardly.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

There is one more reason I forgot to mention which is directly associated with parts availability. There are SCORES more kz's out there. The kz was produced for 2-3 times as long as the XS so there are tons more out there.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

who cares about whats cheapest, be different, do it!!!!!

Oh yeah, then come back here and tell us all how you got more power out of it.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

That would be pretty sweet if those cylinders would slip down into the base of an XS motor... and the piston pins fit our rods.. or those rods fit our crank. Even if the crank was a different size, if the spacing was right, you could take a stock crank and get it welded and turned to the right thickness and use that KZ stuff from the cylinders up.

I know there's other problems, like the XS crank gear teeth and cams from the Kaw have to match.. and exhaust problems.. but it's a nice thought.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Dgxser is dead-on with the comparison. The only one I've seen here in the States that has even come close and still have a streetable XS, and a very nice looking "sleeper" I might add would be Dan Hodges here on the site. Read here all that he has done and had done as far as one-off mods to get what he's got. Gives you an idea of the bucks spent to produce a very impresive naturally aspirated scoot. An Aussie member here has gotten a bit more ponies at the rear wheel(dyno proven), but again, more aftermarket options were and are available to these folks and those across the pond. An aftermarket turbo WAS availible back in the day, and some still exist today if you can find them, but again your gonna give up motor longgivity adding ANY kind of boost. They are what they are and your gonna spend mega bucks to transform that rated 95horse AT the crank to anything not much over a 100 at the rear wheel. None here are being negative, just sayin'.......
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                  X