Odd forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd forks

I was out in the garage last night looking at the new parts I picked up. The forks I have look close to my '78 but are definitely different. These have a larger protuberance where the calipers would mount then my '78. Otherwise, they look to be the same length and diameter as my '78s.

Most of the stuff I picked up was off a '79 special, but not everything. Are the forks that different on the special?

PS I do know the special mounts the tire forward on the forks rather then the end like my standard. These DO have that "Forward" mount, that's why I assumed they're from a special. It's just that brake mount that's got me confused.
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Yes the specials have a different brake mount then the standards. They have crazy capliers that twist a bit.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Yep, on the Special forks there is one mounting hole for the caliper as opposed to the two on the standard. That bolt is a pivot point for the caliper to swing on. I have yet to figure out what the He!! they were thinking about when they designed them though.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Yep, on the Special forks there is one mounting hole for the caliper as opposed to the two on the standard. That bolt is a pivot point for the caliper to swing on. I have yet to figure out what the He!! they were thinking about when they designed them though.
        Hi DGXSER,
        they were thinking "BMW fits those weird swivelly tapered-pad calipers so they must be good."
        One wonders why Yamaha thought to copy a design from a company that has bevel gears and a chain drive in their twistgrip.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X