fork seals 81 xs1100rh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seals 81 xs1100rh

have now replaced the seals on an aussie 81 xs1100rh (vin # 5n5...)three times without success. assumed the first two times i had the wrong parts. went to a yamaha dealer and quoted entire vin # annd stressed that the seals were different for different models. they seemed a little loose internally but were better than the previous ones. stupidly i did not record the part number but they are still leaking. would like to know if anyone knows the correct part number for this model. also would like to confirm that the spring on the seal does go to the top and i am not putting them in backwards? cheers.

The flat part of the seal faces up, the hollow part faces down. Sometimes the seals can get nicked by the lower fork bushings when installing the tubes. You could try installing the seals with a PVC pipe driver with the tubes in place to avoid damaging the seal's inner lip. The correct size seal for the special (leading axle type forks) is 37X48X10.5
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Also, pay careful attention to the fork tubes. Often there is a nick or rough spot on the upper tube that 'chews' on the seal.

The other thing is, how long are you riding before they start to leak (and is it THEY or just one?) Has the bike sat in the rain for extended periods between rides?

I ask, because I replaced the fork seals, in my '85 Shadow 1100, 3 years in a row, before I realized they weren't actually leaking!

What was happening was, due to winter, my bike would sit outside all winter and over the course of things water would get past the dust seal and sit on top of the fork seal. There is a small amount of oily buildup in there normally, and when I would start to ride in the spring I would get this 'leak'. it would look like oil but it was water with an oily film.

Once I realized this I didn't replace the seals for the next 12 or so years. Each spring they would seep for a hundred miles and then dry up.

That being said, I just replaced the seals in my 80G. The PO had them in upside down, and had used baling wire for retainers. One retainer had long since rusted away to nothing, the other still had a couple pieces galvanically corroded into the retainer grooves.

I replaced them with some aussie units from Pyramid and used the new style dust seals as well.
      Last edited by Crazcnuk; 04-20-2010, 02:59 AM.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Unfortunately, walking into a Yamaha dealer in Australia and asking for bits for a Special will almost certainly result in a smug, or vacant look from the counter person and you will end up with the parts that they reckon are what you're after. The wrong ones! I've had the same dramas with my Special as you've had with your RH. To sove the problem - shop online and you'll get the right parts for your bike from overseas in most cases cheaper than from the wrong ones from the local dealer, postage included. The last set of seals I got from the US only took 5 days to get here, so it's not at all inconvenient.
        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/partinfo...J6-23145-00-00
          Shows the correct part number and all the other bikes that the same seal fits. Take that number into your dealer and you should get the right ones. As Bikerphil has stated the flat part up and the spring part down for installation.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
          X