Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes

Well

Deceided to tackle my squeeky brakes and while I was at it do a complete brake overhaul.

I was looking at the web page that discussed the small hole in the master cyclinder.

Just one question. How or what do you use to reattach the plastic resevouir? Is a glue of some type required?

thanks jeff
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

I only have experience with early Standards. On them.... there are 2 screws in the bottom of the front master cyl reservoir and a small steel plate. Once removed... the plastic reservoir itself is just a friction fit. I've always gotten mine out by prying beneath it while pulling upward and twisting a bit. Putting it back in is as simple as lining it back up correctly and snapping it back into the hole.... then replacing the plate and screws.

On a similar note... does anyone know where to find JUST the translucent white reservoir? Partsfish lists the cover, the rubber seal boot and steel holder for it.... and the entire m/c assembly but not the reservoir itself by itself. Mine is dry rotted pretty bad on the outside and just looks ugly though it works fine.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

On my '81 Special, it was just pushed on over the o-ring and held into place by the cover screws. I didn't even have to replace the o-ring. There is no pressure, other than gravity, in that part of the master cylinder.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Jeff described my 78E. I could use a new reservoir also. Mine is beginning to deteriorate.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I will try and paint my master while I'm at it.

Jeff
          Jeff Korn
          Original Owner 79XS1100 E
          Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Working...
          X