Question on using the vacume gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on using the vacume gauge

As some of you know, i have been fighting a carb problem for a year. Or what appeared to be a carb problem. With having set the float level correct, it improved 100%, but not good enough. After synching, and adjusting, i made it worse. It will still turn up to 8000, but that is all. It is also very, very cold blooded, and it never has been that way. Yesterday i broke down and bought a vacume gauge. I have been adjusting carbs for years by ear, and with a vacume gauge. I hooked it up, and the thing just goes wilt fluctuating. In an automobile this would indicate to me that either i have some bad valves, and or guides, or i have a vacume leak. I would assume that a bike would be no different. Has anyone ever checked for vacume leaks using propane? I have used acetelene before, but not propane, or should i just stick to carb cleaner? I have sprayed everything with carb cleaner before, but found no leaks. Any ideas?
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

That is actually normal. Bike rev a LOT higher than most cars, so the cams have a lot more overlap, which can cause vacuum issues. Plus, on the bike, you are looking at the vacuum level of ONE cylinder through it's entire range, where as on a V-8, it is basically the average of all eight cylinders that you are seeing.

You need a good restrictor in the vacuum line to dampen out the pulses so you can see the "average" vacuum. The hole in the restrictors that came with my carb sync kit are so small I almost didn't see it at first. It make a pilot jet look huge.
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

It helps to put a plenum in between the carb and the vacuum gauge along with a restriction in the line. There are some photos on here somewhere of the setup you need.

Yes, you can use propane just like you would use acetylene to find a leak.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

experience with vaccuum synch

Hi,

Ive used vacuum gauges and tubing manometers, but found that both of these made for more problems than a simple bench synch in my late model carbs.

I used the tiny bare wire from the bread wrapper, and set the number three to approx three turns on the master idle screw to get the proper opening for number three, then set the 1,2 n 4 throttle plate adjusters to match. Bike fired and runs well. I had to back off the master idle screw about two turns once the bike warmed up.

Wont mess with gauges or manometers again until I figure out what was going wrong before. In order to get the gauge or manometer to match cylinders, had to open number two throttle plate way too far. Tried propane, apparently no vacuum leaks so will stick by my bench synch until I know more.
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Hay Newbie, I also am new kinda, I just rebuilt my carbs and want to sync them as soon as poss, had a friend recomend a manometer, looked up on the u-tube and how to make one, so i did and all it would do was suck the liquid right down the intake, so again back to Utube on how to, that showed a lot of diff ways to sync the carbs including vacuum gauges, said the way to get the flexing out was to rev the engine up a little so the gauges would level out, and that sence the bike would be running at a higher rev it would put you in a better setting cus the bike is running at that range, may run a little rough at idle would be the traid off, hope that helps some, i will be doing mine this weekend with gauges. good luck

Comment

I vacuum sync mine regularly with good results. If your gauge(s) is/are bouncing around all over the place, a small cable clamp over the line works well as a dampener. Just put one around each line, and tighten the bolts by hand till the needle(s) settle down. Don't shut it down all the way - you want a little bounce in the needle so you can tell that air is still moving through the line. JAT

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Here is a link to a thread on carb synching, particularly a good video I found on how to do it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21280
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I use an aquarium airline valve in-line with the vacuum gauge. Just turn the knob on the valve in until the bounce goes away - easy and adjustable.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

also if your using multiple vac guages,
                  they need to be calibrated to each other.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                    also if your using multiple vac guages,
                    they need to be calibrated to each other.
                    I'd hope they come calibrated!
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

.......they dont.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Could you please be so kind and tell us how to calibrate them? Seems to me that a manufacture of gauges would calibrate them to some standard before they leave their door. Doesnt make sence not to, if they truly dont calibrate them they would at least inform you that you need to do it prior to use...or am I expecting too much from a ~$80 pair of $20 gauges!
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

to calibrate, remove the rubber plug from one
                          of the intake manifolds and connect 1 vac guage,
                          start the engine and note where the needle is sitting,
                          then connect the nxt guage to the same intake rubber
                          and note the reading, if its different adjust by removing
                          the clear lens cover and adj the small screw situated on the face plate.
                          do the same for the other guages.
                          hope this makes sense.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots

Comment

I used to calibrate mine with a brake power bleeder. I would just connect the mity vac to each valve, and pump until the vacuum registering on the mity vac gauge was 10" hg exactly. Then I'd get a reading from the guage it was connected to and record it. When you've done all four, compare the numbers, pick one gauge as your baseline and mark the rest relative to it (+1 cm, -1 cm, etc.). You can also do it the way Pete mentioned, but I found the vacuum gauge easier and more accurate as you don't have to deal with vacuum pulses from the engine while you're trying to maintain a constant rpm. The biggest variation I saw between my four Harbor Freight combination guages was 1.5 cm hg. To properly sync your carbs they need to be within 2 cm hg of each other, so 1.5 cm makes a difference.
                            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                            X