Fork Seals - Here we go again

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DAVINCI
    replied
    Guys,

    adding to everything that's been written here, some of it hyperbole, some of it sound, one old-school tried and true method that helps ANY seal or bearing race installation is to freeze it overnight. Take 'em out of the freezer one at a time, install quickly, while still frozen, and bob's your uncle.

    In general, freeze the inner part, warm the outer part for any interference-fit application.

    As for brands, etc. I've used the Parts-n'-more fork seals and recently changed to the leak-proof brand and neither set leaked. Well, the Parts-'n-more set leaked after 7 years......YMMV

    Leave a comment:


  • Nubian
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    Nice come-back Nubian!.......all joking aside, a word to the wise for future referece.......even tho emulators, progressive springs, etc. definitely help improve the handling in most cases, one has to remember the frame geometry was not designed to take those increased loads of extreme riding and when they get a bit "ugly" under extreme cornering loads, it WILL happen without warning! If your pucker factor can hang till out the other end of impenting diasaster, it WILL give you new meaning to "they are what they are and should be ridden accordingly"......JAT......
    Apology accepted

    On the serious side been there done that (puckered-up), which is why I went back to this type/model bike which is the first bike I ever owned back in '86. I have had my days with my beloved FRZ1000 but i'm older now and trying to calm down. Doesn't always work but i'm trying.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Nice come-back Nubian!.......all joking aside, a word to the wise for future referece.......even tho emulators, progressive springs, etc. definitely help improve the handling in most cases, one has to remember the frame geometry was not designed to take those increased loads of extreme riding and when they get a bit "ugly" under extreme cornering loads, it WILL happen without warning! If your pucker factor can hang till out the other end of impenting diasaster, it WILL give you new meaning to "they are what they are and should be ridden accordingly"......JAT......

    Leave a comment:


  • Nubian
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    Doesn't matter how........just friggin use them! Good job on the search and posting the part number Axel! BTW Newbie, OEM is available for the Standard you have, and I WOULD avise you use them.......a bit over $40bucks, but if done CORRECTLY likely last longer than your gonna have the scoot anyways. Mine wit 80+K on it are just on the second set if that' any concensuses.
    Who you callin' "Newbie" you just wait till I know what i'm doing I will definitely go with OEM. However if OEM was not available I would want to know how he narrowed it down since that part # is for an XJ.
    Last edited by Nubian; 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Doesn't matter how........just friggin use them! Good job on the search and posting the part number Axel! BTW Newbie, OEM is available for the Standard you have, and I WOULD avise you use them.......a bit over $40bucks, but if done CORRECTLY likely last longer than your gonna have the scoot anyways. Mine wit 80+K on it are just on the second set if that' any concensuses.
    Last edited by motoman; 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nubian
    replied
    Originally posted by Axel
    Allballs seal still working . I replaced the other aftermarket seal with an OEM Honda fork seal . There are quite a few Hondas with the same seal . A little more expensive ($30 each) and it comes with a dust cap specific to whatever model you order it for ( I used CR80r 1996-2002) so you dont use that of course . The Honda seal is a triple lip a lot like the Allballs but it installs beautifully . This time I got to use the bike shop's tools and bay and took my time and it all went well . My mech friend helped me with the details . I'm happy to say it is working well !!!
    Part number I used is 51490-GBF-831
    How did you narrow down the Honda compatible part, I would like to find one for my '81 XS11H.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    Report

    Extended ride report -
    The AllBalls seal is weeping very slightly on bumpy roads and the Honda seal is perfect . Bet you know what I'll use next time !

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    kool

    I got to use an Arbor press on a stand and the black plastic pipe (1.5 inch I.D.) It went in very nicely over the tube with black tape up top and a healthy amount of oil on the shiny part . There is a small nick on the cap to line up the arrow on the triple for the adjustable dampening . The mech pointed it out to me and it was simple to twist the tube a bit and then tighen the bolts . No leaks yet !

    Leave a comment:


  • mack
    replied
    Drill press

    When I did my seals I used a drill press with a circle cutter turned upsidedown, lwered the table and just pressed em in. No banging or lopsided install's. Sorry I was late on this . Kids pool needed some maintenance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    Success

    Allballs seal still working . I replaced the other aftermarket seal with an OEM Honda fork seal . There are quite a few Hondas with the same seal . A little more expensive ($30 each) and it comes with a dust cap specific to whatever model you order it for ( I used CR80r 1996-2002) so you dont use that of course . The Honda seal is a triple lip a lot like the Allballs but it installs beautifully . This time I got to use the bike shop's tools and bay and took my time and it all went well . My mech friend helped me with the details . I'm happy to say it is working well !!!
    Part number I used is 51490-GBF-831

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    bump

    After a few thousand kilometers the Allballs seal is working nicely but the other black aftermarket type seal is weeping a bit . More to come ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    retraction

    Not sure anymore about the 81 midnight forks . Part numbers are different

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    Allballs strike out

    I just know they take different seals but 81 midnight forks are the same .

    So finally some success with the fork seals . The problem was that the Allballs seals were so hard to press into the outer tube that it was slightly crooked and thats all it took to leak a lot . We used a different after market seal and they slid right in ,over the tube from the top and using the PVC homemade seal installer . The mechanic says he will never order Allballs again .
    They seemed more suitable for a 51mm housing instead of a 50mm one.
    Thanks everyone for your support

    Leave a comment:


  • petejw
    replied
    im just curious,
    whats the difference between the xj and xs forks?

    Leave a comment:


  • clcorbin
    replied
    Originally posted by tinman905
    Black is ABS ,white is usually PVC
    And for THIS application, it doesn't matter in the least which pipe you use...

    Leave a comment:

Working...