Fork Seals - Here we go again

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by Briggs&Stratton
    Please post the pics of your shinier lowers. That way you can prove to everyone you're the better craftsman and maintainer.

    Can't beat that for polished!
    No offense intended, but your 'before' and 'after' pics of seal removal were a 'given'.......couldn't resist.

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    I'd say it was right around 1/8 inch tall. As you see in the pic, there is still the thin metal spacer underneath.

    The rubber part you see didn't move or fit loose, but it didn't appear that any part of the circumference actually touched the wall of the lower, so I suspect it was fastened to that thin metal spacer below it. Also, since the rubber part didn't touch the edge of the bore, I suspect that the bottom outer edge of the seal partially slid over this rubber spacer.

    If that doesn't make sense, I can try to explain differently.

    Leave a comment:


  • bikerphil
    replied
    Briggs, any idea how tall that lower spacer is? That looks like it was put there in place of the flimsy crinkle cut spacer that was there from the factory. There might be numbers on it too. I have made them out of PVC pipe too.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    reminder

    So just to remind anyone (myself) , the part number above (51490 GBF 831) is Honda and for one seal only . Included is the honda CR80 dust cover .
    I just ordered one thinking I was getting two seals bit I was mistaken .
    This is for an XJ1100 .

    Leave a comment:


  • skids
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    Well, at least the dust seal will cover the gouge marks from the 'ham-fisted' old seal removal.
    Damn Brant!

    Leave a comment:


  • skids
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    Well, at least the dust seal will cover the gouge marks from the 'ham-fisted' old seal removal.
    Damn Brent!

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman
    Well, at least the dust seal will cover the gouge marks from the 'ham-fisted' old seal removal.

    Please post the pics of your shinier lowers. That way you can prove to everyone you're the better craftsman and maintainer.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Well, at least the dust seal will cover the gouge marks from the 'ham-fisted' old seal removal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    Nice

    Good pics and polished tube !

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    Got it.



    I'm going to dive into the other leg.

    BTW, I used Crazy Steve's excellent rebuild method/pictorial. Thanks Steve! Here's the link http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=fork+seals

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    Crisis averted. I think. Apparently there is another rubber piece underneath the seal of a 79 special, and that takes up the extra space. I know I'm not gonna risk taking it out and damaging it, I'll clean out the inner area with it assembled. You can see it in this pic. I'd like to take it out just so there would be a clear pic for future reference on this site, but its too risky.



    The new seal appears to be the same as what came out:

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    Originally posted by DiverRay
    I think the '79 was a "taller" seal than the newer ones. ID X OD X Height, with the Height being about 2mm taller. a spacer of some kind will take care of any problems.
    I think you're right about them being taller. I got my George seals in the mail, they're not tall enough. Getting discouraged here. I'm going to dive in and pop the 79 seal out. Maybe something will make sense.



    Leave a comment:


  • Radioguylogs
    replied
    I have been happy with these for $9.74/pair (now $9.25) including shipping:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Oil-Sea...item53f42de7fd

    I bought from the same source for both of XS750 with good results.

    Leave a comment:


  • DiverRay
    replied
    I think the '79 was a "taller" seal than the newer ones. ID X OD X Height, with the Height being about 2mm taller. a spacer of some kind will take care of any problems.

    Leave a comment:


  • Briggs&Stratton
    replied
    Originally posted by bikerphil
    Only a guess, maybe the 79 Special seal had a double lip and the 80+ was a triple.
    This is the seal in my 79, but who knows if it has been replaced in the past. Looks triple though?

    Leave a comment:

Working...