Brake issues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake issues..

So I finally got my carbs figured out and got the broken tips out of the mixture screw holes thanks to the freezer trick. I got excited and forgot about my brake issues and took the bike for a test ride......dumb. My back brake was clamping down so hard the disc was glowing red. I managed to get bike to a church parking lot about 3 miles from home and left it there with a note that says please don't tow. What is the best way to go about getting it back? I was thinking about taking caliper off of the disc but I don't want to mess any thing up or make anything worse than it already is. Is this a bad idea? Once I get the bike home I was going to completely clean the master cylinder and see if that doesn't fix the sticking problem. I probably need new pads and or new rotor now thanks to my brilliance, but oh well.
    1979 XS11 Standard

For now, use an 8mm wrench to crack the bleeder screw to release the pressure build-up. Give the caliper a bit of a push to force the piston back a bit to make sure it is no longer rubbing. Then, hop on and ride it home, being sure to use the front brakes only. You will be fine. If you are also lucky, a thorough cleaning of the rear system may be all it needs.
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM. Reason: dam# typo!!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Could probably just open the bleeder screw or crack the banjo bolt to relieve the pressure. Careful, bleeder screws can snap easily. Don't use the rear brake for the ride home, and keep it under 90.

Yep, what Ken said.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 04-15-2010, 09:26 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I agree, down shift to slow down is what I did when mine grabbed and didn't let go. I had to bleed it and clean it, it was fine after I sought the advice of the wiser peolpe than me in this chat form.
        Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
        1978 XS 1100E
        Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
        K & N Air filter
        Home built forward controls
        Vulcan Mustang seat
        A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

brake thing

i had very same syptoms. Turned out being the man i forget the name . but when you push the petal down there was crud build up on the tube ,so it was actualy holding small amount of pressure on the brake. allowing it to heat up then lock up.Forgive the ignorance. but if you get down and look ay the petal were it goes like under the bike there is a tube that the brake petal like slides over it and inbetween is were i had the problems.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
          X