smoking problem =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking problem =(

ugh i finally got my 79xs11 special up and running and its smoking pretty bad. when first started theres no smoke then about 30 seconds later the smoke starts to get thicker and thicker and i cant really rev the throttle without it sounding like it wants to bog out. whats wrong here?? bad gas? runs crappy without choke then i pull the choke back out and it runs a little better

running around 2-2500 rpm sounds ok no bad clanking

no octy =)

hard to start without starter fluid

umm...fuel seemed to be dripping from the left carb on bank 2..#3? will investigate further

new spark plugs and oil

thanks for any input!
    -scott
    -xs1100 special
    -wife
    -daughter

Normall to smoke if it's been sitting a long time.
    Fix the carbs first then worry about the smoke.
    White smoke can last as long as ten minutes when you first get em running.
    Oil smoke if not gone in the same time frame could be you you have one or more stuck rings and may go away after a short ride. If it does not go away then it may be valve seals or a ring/cylinder problem.

mro
    Sorta fun when you first fire one up that's been sitting for years.

Comment

what do you mean fix the carbs? whats wrong with them i know its not running right without the choke on but i think its still getting the bubbles out of the filter. how do i get the carbs running right? do i have to take them off again? sheesh
      -xs1100 special
      -wife
      -daughter

Comment

Do a compression test if that's fine clean the carbs that's going to help a lot.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

correction its idle speed is 1500 rmp bounces around there and backfires out of the far left carb a good bit when giving it some gas. seems to smoke out of the left side a little worse

and ok ill try a compression test. by sticking my thumb over the hole right? well il do some searching. hmmm another thing to note..it sounds like theres some popping sound coming out the left muffy but not the right. when touching all the hedders after a 1 min run the left hedder is the hottest one the otheres are pretty uniform
          Last edited by usmc_scott; 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM.
          -xs1100 special
          -wife
          -daughter

Comment

hi scott

you might want to declare your location as a member near you might be willing to help you ,,side safe slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

im in san diego ca but i want to try and get this sucker running myself first till it makes me give up

well good news now is it finally stopped smoking. but backfires pretty bad from the left carb. loud pops and all and once with flame. sprayed starter fluid at the boots to check for cracked boot. no noticeable difference in idle occured. so do i just have to sync my carbs??
              Last edited by usmc_scott; 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM.
              -xs1100 special
              -wife
              -daughter

Comment

hard to start without starter fluid

umm...fuel seemed to be dripping from the left carb on bank 2..#3? will investigate further
                NO dripping allowed
                Stuck float needle or two

Note about smoke when first started up after a long sleep.
                If you check your plugs, oiled up then most likely rings, nice and clean then just stuff cooking off in the exhaust.

Did you leave "old gas" in the tank? Year old gas w/o stabilizer while not always a problem can be.

Finish the carbs, synk em, adjust the pilots and synk agin.
                Info should be in the tech tips.

mro

Comment

Mist some water on the headers to see if they all are equally hot. Sounds to me like the pilot circuit needs some cleaning.

Darrell
                  Darrell
                  78E
                  80G project
                  06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_scott View Post
                    so do i just have to sync my carbs??
                    If you haven't already, yes. If your carbs are not sync'd, it will never run properly, unless you have managed to do a very precise "bread-tie" pre-sync.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

carbs

Hi Scott,

All I can say about the carbs is, my bike was running the same way yours is or worse.

I used rebuild kits from georgefix on ebay, took a lotto time, bought yammie carb cleaner for 12 bux a quart, tore carbs apart but left them on the rack, soaked one end at a time in yammie cleaner in a coffee can, full strength not diluted like it says on the can. I had to put small stones in can to bring the level of one quart of cleaner up to the level of immersing the second carb on each end. I rinsed them in super hot water and blow air thru every orifice both ways, back and forth. I did use regular spray carb cleaner cans, about four, to do the final spray thru cleaning. I was ok with that, but YMMV.

I got away with NOT dissembling the enrichening circuit, but loosened everything up as good as possible to allow yammie fluid in. Yammie carb cleaner supposedly doesnt damage rubber and plastic like other carb cleaners do, so dont immerse/soak in other stuff at all . Be sure to get the idle screws mixture screws right out and replace if possible.

There is more detailed info listed under wildkats moniker. This carb rebuild is a daunting job for someone who is brand new, but given time and care, can be accomplished, read tons of carb stuff here and you should be good. If you get into trouble, post, and you will get excellent ideas and info from the group. Whatever you do, if you get aggro ed with the carbs, its better to take a break, post here and wait for answers. In the immortal words of trbig, DONT GO COWBOY on those carbs.
                      Last edited by yamtom; 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM.
                      Bikes Now.
                      80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                      79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                      83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                      83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                      08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

By all means, soak the crap out of everything on an old set of carbs or dirty set before you even try to pull anything out or off. I do not soak like has been mentioned, but I spray and soak the screws and jets in PB Blaster before I touch them.

Also, get a file and some smaller sized screwdrivers your not so worried about. File the ends to exactly match the size of the slots in the jets. It helps TREMENDOUSLY to keep you from stripping the slots out and then it can get ugly. BTDT...Not going back again!!

Ohhh...and if your considering using an "easy-out" or extractor, first try left hand drill bits!! Extractors are very hard and very brittle, they snap off very easily and then it is a complete PITA. DAMHIKIJK
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

nice

I am glad you got her running, especially after looking at your wiring
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Working...
                          X